Flag of Indonesia

Indonesia forum

New Visa Rules for Indonesia (60 days) ?

• misscherie

Joined Travelfish
    22nd January, 2010

Hi there,

I am hoping to spend 6 weeks in Indonesia in September and just read that there has been a sudden visa change for Indonesia

"(2/1/2010) In a dramatic change to the current immigration rules, starting on January 26, 2010, foreign tourists from countries eligible for "visa-on-arrival" will now be given a 30 day visa that can be renewed for an additional 30 days."

My question is, does anyone know how exactly this works? When you arrive in Indonesia, do you automatically get the 30 day visa on arrival, THEN have to apply at a later date for the next visa? Or can you get the 60 day visa straight away?

Any advice on visas for Indonesia would be much appreciated, thanks so much!

#1 Posted: 12/3/2010 - 00:38

• Advertisement

• misscherie

Joined Travelfish
    22nd January, 2010

By the way, I know you can get the 60 day visa from your home country but I am not living in my home country and won't be there before Indonesia and was told I couldn't apply for it with the Indonesian Embassy in my home country (in NZ) unless I was there.

So just trying to figure out the best way to do it and if the 60 day visa is possible!

#2 Posted: 12/3/2010 - 00:41

• boleslav

Joined Travelfish
    30th August, 2009
    Total reviews: 5

this is a note from Indonesian embassy in my country :

ENTRY REQUIREMENTS FOR VISA ON ARRIVAL (VOA)

1 Passport must be valid for a minimum of 6 (six) months as from the date of entry into Indonesia.
    2 Visa Fee On Arrival : Visit up to 30 (thirty) days : US$ 25.00
    3 VOA may be extended only one time for maximum 30 (thirty) days.
    4 All types of passports.
    5 Onward or return tickets are compulsory.
    6 No compulsory vaccinations.
    7 Visa on Arrival is not convertible or transferable to another type of visa.
    8 Visitors must enter through the following airports and seaports in Indonesia.

There are 20 Airports and 18 seaports across Indonesia which have the VOA facilities:

Airports
    1 Juanda in Surabaya (East Java)
    2 Adi Sucipto in Yogyakarta (Central Java)
    3 Adi Sumarmo in Surakarta (Central Java)
    4 El Tari in Kupang (East Nusa Tenggara Province)
    5 Halim Perdana Kusuma in Jakarta (Capital of Indonesia)
    6 Hassanudin in Makasar (South Sulawesi)
    7 Ngurah Rai in Denpasar (Island of Bali)
    8 Polonia in Medan (North Sumatera)
    9 Sam Ratulangi in Manado (North Sulawesi)
    10 Selaparang in Mataram (Lombok Island)
    11 Sepinggan in Balikpapan (East Kalimantan)
    12 Soekarno Hatta in Jakarta (Capital of Indonesia)
    13 Sultan Syarif Kasim II in Pekanbaru (Riau Province)
    14 Minangkabau in Padang (West Sumatera)
    15 Sultan Iskandar Muda, Banda Aceh
    16 Hang Nadim, Batam
    17 Sultan Mahmud Badaruddin II, Palembang (South Sumatera)
    18 Husein Sastranegara, Bandung (West Java)
    19 Ahmad Yani, Semarang (Central Java)
    20 Supadio, Pontianak (West Kalimantan)

Seaports
    1 Bandar Bintan Telani Lagoi and Bandar Sri Udana Lobam in Tanjung Uban, Bintan.
    2 Belawan in Belawan (North Sumatera)
    3 Benoa in Badung, Bali (Island of Bali)
    4 Bitung in Bitung (North Sulawesi)
    5 Jayapura in Jayapura (Irian Jaya)
    6 Maumere in Maumere (East Nusa Tenggara)
    7 Padang Bai in Karangasem, Bali (Island of Bali)
    8 Pare-pare in Pare-pare (South Sulawesi)
    9 Sekupang; Citra Tritunas (Harbour Bay); Nongsa, Marina Teluk Senimba and Batam Centre in Batam.
    10 Sibolga in Sibolga (North Sumatra)
    11 Soekarno-Hatta in Makassar (South Sulawesi)
    12 Sri Bintan Pura in Tanjung Pinang (Riau)
    13 Tanjung Balai Karimun in Tanjung Balai Karimun (Riau)
    14 Tanjung Mas in Semarang (Central Java)
    15 Tanjung Priok in Jakarta (Capital of Indonesia)
    16 Teluk Bayur in Padang (West Sumatra)
    17 Tenau in Kupang (East Nusa Tenggara Province)
    18 Yos Sudarso in Dumai (Riau Province, Sumatra)

Other place: Entikong, Entikong, West Kalimantan

#3 Posted: 30/3/2010 - 07:05

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

"By the way, I know you can get the 60 day visa from your home country but I am not living in my home country and won't be there before Indonesia and was told I couldn't apply for it with the Indonesian Embassy in my home country (in NZ) unless I was there."

I don't really understand that remark! Why can't you get a visa in the nearest Indonesian embassy to where you are now? I was born in the UK but I haven't lived there for decades. I usually get my 2 month Indonesian visas when I'm in Bangkok .... it's very easy and straightforward, takes 2-3 days.

#4 Posted: 7/4/2010 - 00:57

• luce_uk

Joined Travelfish
    23rd January, 2009

Thats definitely a good change!

So where would you go to extend your visa for an extra 30 days once in Indo?

#5 Posted: 7/4/2010 - 04:30

• cheeco

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2009

Great info.

We are planning to head to Borneo Malaysia overland from the Indo side- so how can we provide an onward ticket for our Visa on Arrival in Bali? Will this be an issue at the airport?

Thanks!!

#6 Posted: 15/4/2010 - 09:34

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

@cheeco. It shouldn't be a problem. In my experience they don't ask to see onward flight tickets for a 30 day VOA at an airport. You do need to show flight tickets for a 60 day visa however. You can only get a 60 day visa at an Indonesian consulate outside the country AFAIK.

I haven't tried to extend a 30 day VOA so I don't know what the requirements for that are. I imagine you'd have to go to Jakarta to do it when the VOA expires.

#7 Posted: 15/4/2010 - 14:47

• bettylovesb-
    logging

Joined Travelfish
    20th May, 2010
    Location Australia

Talking to travellers on the road, it's a big pain extending the visa. it can take up to a week depending on what immigration office you go to, and during that time you can't really go anywhere :(

Hopefully the system will improve, because it is still new, but if you aren't in the country yet it might be better to arrange a 60 day visa at an Indonesian embassy before entering.

#8 Posted: 20/5/2010 - 14:00

• mjgaylord

Joined Travelfish
    12th July, 2009

I can definitely recommend getting a 60 day visa from outside Indonesia. We got our visa in Cape Town, South Africa, and it was ready within 2 days with no queues or nonsense. Made the South African home affairs department look like a joke.

#9 Posted: 21/5/2010 - 06:35

• rasi

Joined Travelfish
    19th April, 2012
    Location Australia

I have extended my voa to a 60 day visa while I was in bali. It is very easy if you use an agent. You get your voa when you land and before it expires I went to bali mode agent (for example) it cost me 750, 000rp but they do it all for you and called me when it was ready for collection. I travelled through java while they were extending it in bali and picked it up when I got back to bali :)

#10 Posted: 19/4/2012 - 19:56

• Advertisement

• pPamela

Joined Travelfish
    3rd May, 2011
    Location Australia

Hi,
    If you are going to be spending 6 weeks in Indonesia then you are best to get a 60 day visa outside Indonesia.
    You can get one in Bangkok, Penang, and Singapore for sure. KL is problematic and they issue depending on a whim with no explanation.

It is best to have the 60 days because otherwise you have to be constantly planning your trip around a visit to immigration and WHY give a whole lot of money to an agent when it is not necessary.

And another word of warning DO NOT TRAVEL around Indonesia without your passport as rasi in previous post indicated they did.
    Travelling without your passport on your person is Illegal in Indonesia and you can gte into a whole lot of trouble.
    An Indonesian jail is not the best place to spend part of your holiday.
    Pamela

#11 Posted: 11/6/2012 - 03:08

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
60 days Indonesia visa ... By giba on 19 Apr 2012 3 1724 19 Apr 2012
VISA to China. NEW RULES??? PLEASE HELP ... By xan310 on 19 Jan 2012 2 1951 6 Feb 2012
New Thai visa rules ... By somtam2000 on 12 Sep 2006 0 3009 12 Sep 2006
Suggestions to keep to the Free visa rules ... By stever1000 on 7 Jan 2013 1 1498 8 Jan 2013
Major change in Thailand visa rules ... By somtam2000 on 10 May 2014 11 1825 28 Jun 2014
Will new Thai visa rules affect our plans? ... By katieandchris on 16 Jul 2014 2 437 21 Jul 2014