iPhone Apps forum

What still no Android Aps?

• Sparts

Joined Travelfish
    5th June, 2009
    Location United Kingdom
    Places visited:
    At least 17

Been a while since I've posted here, but checking in for help with planning my next trip.
    I guess I'm repeating myself but I do feel very strongly that TravelFish are missing a trick by NOT having Android Aps. Stuart, are you aware that Android phones and now outselling iphones (inc iphone 4) by over 100k handsets per day? The phones themselves are in many cases far superior to iphones (IMO). A forward thinking chap may wish to consider urgently putting together some Android Aps. These my friends are the future, while Apple release a new phone every two years you'll find HTC, Samsung, Nokia, Sony all releasing new updated models every couple of months. Once you switch to Android you NEVER go back :)

Maybe it would help if people posted which phones they used?

HTC Desire user.

#1 Posted: 19/8/2010 - 01:44

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi Sparts,

Good question, with two very simple answers.

a) Because we're an Australian company if we built apps for Android we would not be permitted to sell them -- ie we'd have to give them away. Google (who controls the Android marketplace) only permits certain countries to sell apps and Australia is not one of those countries. Given we'd be looking at at least US$15-20,000 to develop just the framework for a new platform, this is a big ask!

b) We're a small team (me, myself and I) and at the moment I don't have the time needed to work with a developer from scratch for a new project.

On the upside. the new site (which should be opening in next coupla weeks) has a mobile version which should look good in your HTC Desire.

Cheers

#2 Posted: 19/8/2010 - 04:20

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

"Because we're an Australian company if we built apps for Android we would not be permitted to sell them -- ie we'd have to give them away"

Just playing devil's advocate (and ignoring your other reasons for a moment...) - couldn't you just continue to sell the PDF's and give away the App?

In other words, "buy our amazing (possibly now outdated) PDF and get a FREE, up-to-date App!"?

PS. Here's a suggestion for the new website... it would be way cool to have easier ways to format text by selecting the text to be formatted, then clicking on a 'Bold' or 'Italic' or 'Quote' button which would insert the appropriate HTML tags. You could call them the 'BusyLizzy buttons' - something like the 'BL and SBE' edit button! Hell, I'd even be willing to share them the naming rights with SBE if we got them ;-)

(And it took me longer to type that last paragraph than it would have been to insert some quotes around the first sentence in this post instead of using lazy quotes. Sigh....)

#3 Posted: 19/8/2010 - 07:42

• Sparts

Joined Travelfish
    5th June, 2009
    Location United Kingdom
    Places visited:
    At least 17

Hey Stuart

Wow, I never realised Google place restrictions upon selling apps. Anyone know why?
    That may explain why there are “other” Android ap markets, some with good reputations, that sell apps. I always wondered why that was, now I know.
    You may want to look into the “other” markets if you ever have the time but I understand it’s a big initial outlay for you.

Also, you can always sell your ap through a third party. Not sure exactly how it works or what the legal ramifications are but it sounds as though you sign the ap over to them and then they sell it on your behalf, They skim a little off the top and then the rest is yours.
    http://www.androidconnector.com/ Just one of the many out there. BTW this is not an ad for these guys, I don’t know if they are good/bad or whatever, never used them, never heard of them before today.

I never realised it was that expensive though. I know there are developers who can port your apple ap over to Android with relatively little fuss.

Cheers.

#4 Posted: 19/8/2010 - 16:03

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

@sparts There is a theory that Google is slow on allowing other countries to sell apps in order to encourage developers to build ad-supported apps (that they then give away) as G gets a recurring income stream that way. We're not planning to do ad-supported apps.

@lizzy The new version of the PDFs will remain free. They'll become available with the new site. They're sort of half way between the old free ones and the old paid-for ones. Like the idea of the BL button. Will investigate further.

:)

#5 Posted: 20/8/2010 - 08:29

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.