Japan forum

3 week honeymoon - Japan, Hong Kong and which amazing beach?

• Karensarah

Joined Travelfish
    11th March, 2013

Hi!
    We are currently planning our 3 week honeymoon in Asia and are finding it so difficult to find an amazing beach with great accomodation that will not ruin us :) We are planning on traveling end of September or early October, we will start with 7-10 days in Japan (Tokyo + Kyoto), then probably fly to Hong Kong for a few days but where to go after that is the question (not Thailand or Malaysia, already been there).

1. Bali? We have heard mixed things about the beaches there, plus that's pretty much when their good weather ends, very good accomodation there though, luxury villas at good prices.
    2. The Philippines? But the prices for good accomodation that we found seem slightly insane (5 -10 times more than Bali). Any recommendations?
    3. Vietnam? Where would be nice in October in that case?
    4. We just recently heard from a friend that Japan has some nice tropical islands too, so maybe staying on a bit longer before Hong Kong could be an option, any recommendations of islands and/or accommodation there?

Thank you in advance :)

#1 Posted: 11/3/2013 - 14:56

• Advertisement

• goonistik

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2010
    Location Philippines
    Places visited:
    At least 9

If you are looking at the Philippines, what kind of accommodation do you want? What kind of beach do you want? Are you looking for a quiet place or a party place? Do you want a well-developed tourist place or a more remote place? What budget do you have in mind?

#2 Posted: 11/3/2013 - 21:27

• Karensarah

Joined Travelfish
    11th March, 2013

hi goonistik,

Thank you for asking for a clarification. What we have in mind is a nice private villa, either with private pool (like this place in Bali: http://www.thewolasvillas.com/) or with a sea view. We are thinking up to 400 USD per night but could raise that a bit if we got All inclusive for example. We are not interested in partying, most important is a great beach close by, snorkeling options are a bonus, having a few restaurants to choose from would be nice too, so not too remote, but definitely not over-exploited either. Does that give you a better picture?

#3 Posted: 12/3/2013 - 13:53

• goonistik

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2010
    Location Philippines
    Places visited:
    At least 9

Hi!

To find that kind of accommodation, you'd have to look at the more popular destinations like Cebu, Bohol, Palawan, and Davao. Of the four, I think it would be best to narrow it down to Bohol and Palawan. In Palawan, there are 4 higher-end resorts. Amanpulo is the most expensive at around $1000. After that and closer to your budget are Apulit, Miniloc, and Lagen.

Bohol has it share of higher end resorts, you can google for them and see which strikes your fancy.

My last suggestion comes from left field- Isla Naburot. It is not what you are looking for but the people I know who've stayed there have had happy experiences. Isla Naburot is a small family-run island resort with a back-to-basics- experience. The island has no electricity. Google for it and see if that is something you and your fiance would like to try.

#4 Posted: 13/3/2013 - 01:55

• iwillfly525

Joined Travelfish
    13th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 5

Hi. Congrats on your upcoming wedding!

Japan does have some very nice islands with good beaches. There are a few great beaches, but not as many great beaches as you would expect for an island country. Any of the great beaches would require you to take a plane from Tokyo or Kyoto. There should be a ferry option to a couple of smaller islands with good beaches, but it would an all day ferry.

Izu (in between Tokyo and Kyoto) has good beaches (not white sand) with several really good hotels. However, even in mid summer the water is on the cool side. I've never been there in last September or October, but I would guess it would be cold. The pools at the hotel should be nice in September (most would be closed by October).

If you have any questions about planning the Japan leg of your honeymoon, let me know and I'll do by best to point you towards what you are looking for. I lived in Japan for 9 years.

Gina
    agirlandherbackpack.com

#5 Posted: 19/3/2013 - 10:45

• jaz032

Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2013

Hi,

This is so funny as I'm currently planning a very similar honeymoon for the same time of year and have gone through the same thoughts. I stumbled across your blog today when researching options and felt like I was reading my own notes!!

We have got to the point of deciding on Japan and then considering where to go from there for paradise beaches - anywhere in Asia!! We had some really helpful advice about weather from a travel consultant in trailfinders. Basically at the time there is lots of rain in Asia so its important to pick wisely if you want to avoid it. Eastern Thailand is ok (which, like you, we've been to so want to explore somewhere new) or Eastern Malaysia is also ok (but is very underdeveloped and would mean you'd need to go all inclusive and not eat out etc as there isn't anywhere). From our research Vietnam wouldn't be great weather at this time of year (lots of rain) sorry. Indonesian islands are good but like you we've heard mixed things about Bali so have been put off. We've heard much better things about Lombok and the Gili Islands, but we're fearful this will just be too much time traveling in our 3week trip as to get to them you'd have to fly into Bali and then spend several more hours getting to the other islands. So we're now pretty keen on the idea of finding beachy places in Japan and staying there the whole time.

I've briefly read about nice beaches in the south west of Japan - Yaeyama islands? But don't know much about them. Gina I was wondering if you would be able to advise?

If I can be of any help with Hong Kong let me know as I spent 3 months living and working there a few years ago so know it pretty well!!

Jasmine

#6 Posted: 24/3/2013 - 16:45

• iwillfly525

Joined Travelfish
    13th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 5

Hi Jasmine,

Congrats to you too!

I have personally been to Okinawa and I wasn't a huge fan. There isn't anything negative in particular more just it didn't feel right to me. After living in both the US and mainland Japan for a number of years, I felt it was a weird mix of both cultures and I was never quite sure if I should follow American or Japanese customs. However, as a tourist on your honeymoon, you won't have this problem. Most of the beaches were good, a handful were great (white sand, clear blue water, etc). I was there in November and the water was warm enough for me to get in. However, on a few beaches I was told I had to get out because the beaches closed on November 1st (I could sunbath, but not swim). There is lots to do on Okinawa besides beaches (castles, shopping, history tours, parks, etc). Because of all the American military bases located on the island, it is very English friendly.

I have never been to Miyako Island, but a few of my fiends have and they had nothing but amazing things to say about it. Their pictures of the beaches looked awesome. It is suppose to have some of the best beaches in Japan. This island has a good amount of non-beach stuff to do too.

I only know of 1 friend who has been to Yaeyama Island and she spent the whole week camping in a tent and hiking and I think she only ran into one or two other groups of people in the whole week she was there (she loves to get off the beaten path). Her photos looked just as awesome as the photos from Miyako Island. My impression of the island is that is one of more rural islands in Japan. (I'm sure you can still find a good hotel or resort.)

So, it kind of depends what you want for your honeymoon. Those 3 islands would be my top recommendations based on the time of the year you are wanting to go. If I can help with anything else, let me know and I'll do my best.

Gina
    agirlandherbackpack.com

#7 Posted: 24/3/2013 - 23:23

• Karensarah

Joined Travelfish
    11th March, 2013

Hi,

Thank you for all your great feedback (and sorry for my slow response!). Goonistik and Gina, thank you for your Philippines and Japan advice, they seem like very interesting options! We change favourites pretty much every day, but currently it is unexpectedly Vietnam, the Nha Trang area but then we would need to move our holiday till November/December, and then I guess both the weather in Tokyo and Hong Kong won't be great... We have found some really amazing accommodation there (Six senses for instance), but then there is the weather issue... Jasmine, excellent that you are planning a similar trip (great taste ;) )! Japanese islands seem to be a really good option if you can't move your holiday, have you found any nice accomodation on some island, Miyako for instance?

Karen

#8 Posted: 26/3/2013 - 15:58

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Total reviews: 11
    Places visited:
    At least 87

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hi Karen. Although Six Senses would be fab, November is not a good month to be in Nha Trang , as it's one of the rainiest months. If you fancy Vietnam then you'd be best off heading further south, to Mui Ne or Phu Quoc. Both - and I think Nha Trang - would require an onward journey (flight or bus) from Hanoi or Ho Chi Minh, so aren't ideal if you want to avoid too much travelling, but they both have some quality accommodation. personally I'd go for Phu Quoc, out of the two, as i thought the dining options were better than in Mui Ne. I can't offer a comparison with the other options that people mention though I have been to Bali and loved it - plenty of accommodation of the sort you describe and some amazing dining options. You just need to choose the right spot.

#9 Posted: 28/3/2013 - 00:23

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

If six senses is on the table consider the one on Con Dao islands in Vietnam. Do some research because Con Dao is not for everyone but it would be my choice for a honeymoon.

#10 Posted: 28/3/2013 - 01:05

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88gyQfdknxQ

#11 Posted: 28/3/2013 - 03:42

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Total reviews: 11
    Places visited:
    At least 87

Posted from within Vietnam.

I'd forgotten about the one on Con Dao, but yes, friends of mine have raved about it, particularly the restaurant, and the weather should be good in November too.

#12 Posted: 28/3/2013 - 04:12

• steevennsmi-
    thh

Joined Travelfish
    30th March, 2013

Technology features like "chatting" enable the forum members to get swift responses to all their travel related queries. The personal travel experiences shared by the members give an honest review of the place visited. me and my husband planning our honeymoon in japan please some information give us.

#13 Posted: 7/4/2013 - 06:34

• PeterMFL

Click here to learn more about PeterMFL
    Joined Travelfish
    21st September, 2013

Out of those countries you listed I'd probably go with Boracay in Philippines in my opinion

#14 Posted: 21/9/2013 - 04:00

• Vitalis

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2013

Yeah, I agree with you Peter, Boracay is one of the best places I know.

#15 Posted: 18/12/2013 - 00:09

• alexjorge21-

Joined Travelfish
    25th November, 2013

Bali is my favorite destination for all time.

#16 Posted: 1/1/2014 - 22:47

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Hong Kong to Hanoi ... By tati53 on 19 Feb 2007 1 3898 5 Mar 2007
How expensive is Hong Kong? ... By daawgon on 22 Jan 2013 12 11274 5 Dec 2013
Hong Kong: An introduction ... By somtam2000 on 23 Jan 2013 0 2508 23 Jan 2013
Hanoi to Hong Kong ... By daniel4 on 1 Jun 2011 3 3944 2 Jun 2011
china visa in hong kong ... By peppermintpaddy on 27 Jul 2008 7 4793 21 Apr 2011
hong kong->bangkok->chiang mai-> then? ... By Mr_Noob on 22 Apr 2008 5 2972 10 May 2008
London to Hong Kong for GBP 261 return ... By somtam2000 on 7 Sep 2006 1 2452 7 Sep 2006
Thai visa in Hong Kong ... By iain_macc on 30 Jun 2011 1 3018 30 Jun 2011
Flights from Hong Kong to Cambodia ... By bruceygreenbeans on 27 Feb 2007 2 8500 1 Mar 2007
Hiking on Hong Kong island ... By streetfoodaus on 14 Jan 2013 5 1691 15 Jan 2013