Japan forum

Brief layover in Tokyo - What to do?

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

On Dec. 2nd I arrive at Narita@14:30 & leave from Haneda @01:05 for my flight to BKK. What can I do besides wait at the airport during this time?

I was considering using a big coin locker at Shinagawa Station as to not carry around my backpack. But I heard they were often full?

Was also wondering if anyone wanted to meet up for sake and noodles in the short time I'd be there.

All suggestions welcome - thanks

#1 Posted: 23/10/2013 - 07:21

• Advertisement

• wanderingcat

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2006
    Total reviews: 4
    Places visited:
    At least 67

have you ever visited Tokyo/Japan before? what are your interests? the last time i had a 'layover' in Tokyo (between flying in & catching a long distance night bus), i rented a bicycle (free) at Asakusa & cycled around Asakusa, Ueno Park, Yanaka, Sendagi, Sumidagawa Park & Tokyo Skytree to hunt down (1) a maneki neko (fortune cat) temple, (2) little shops selling cat-related stuff, (3) tsukeman at Rokurinsha at Tokyo Skytree, (4) huge lotus flowers in bloom (it was summer) at Shinobazu pond, (5) green tea dessert & (6) just revisit some sights i'd not been to for a decade & explore old neighbourhoods at a slow pace. not knowing your interests, don't know what to recommend...for all i know you hate cats :P

there are big coin lockers at many train & subway stations (there's a sort of directory listing the sizes/dimensions & no. available somewhere online, but info only in Japanese). even if all the big ones within the station itself are full, there might be more options near to certain station exits.

#2 Posted: 23/10/2013 - 09:34

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

No I've never been outside the airport area in Tokyo before, and weather may be an issue (I won't really have super warm clothes on) so I'd be content just to wander nearby malls/parks - and stay in the general area so I don't get lost - lol - just want to eat a bit as well. I also have to consider the travel times between airports - which probably cuts 2 - 3 hrs off anyway.

It was also suggested I head directly to the other airport check my bag & backtrack to Sumidagwa or elsewhere, but I don't see the point of that.

#3 Posted: 23/10/2013 - 11:24

• bold5

Joined Travelfish
    3rd April, 2014

It is currently Cherry Blossom season in most parts of japan at the moment. If you think you have enough time, you could head into the city or find a park nearby. These tress are normally beautiful but are exceptionally popular in Japan and when there are a lot of them, its a great sight during blossom season! Take a look at this article http://blogcheaptravel.com/cherry-blossom-season/ or just google for more specific places! Hope this helps :)

#4 Posted: 7/4/2014 - 07:19

• Tennouji

Joined Travelfish
    22nd September, 2007
    Location Japan
    Total reviews: 20

For anyone with a similarly short amount of time, I'd head over to the Tokyo metropolitan government building and to the viewing floor. Unlike the Sky Tree or Tokyo Tower, there is no entrance fee. On a clear winter or spring day, you might be able to see Mt Fuji in the distance.

The building is in the centre of the city so on one side you are eye-to-eye with the other skyscrapers. That view is for the cafe customers only but drinks aren't much more than you would pay in a city bar (I think I had a glass of wine for 700 yen) and I'm sure no one would mind if you discreetly went to the windows just to have a look.

It's interesting to see how scarily vast Tokyo is and the building itself is reasonably interesting.

#5 Posted: 24/5/2014 - 20:18

• Tennouji

Joined Travelfish
    22nd September, 2007
    Location Japan
    Total reviews: 20

For anyone with a similarly short amount of time, I'd head over to the Tokyo metropolitan government building and to the viewing floor. Unlike the Sky Tree or Tokyo Tower, there is no entrance fee. On a clear winter or spring day, you might be able to see Mt Fuji in the distance.

The building is in the centre of the city so on one side you are eye-to-eye with the other skyscrapers. That view is for the cafe customers only but drinks aren't much more than you would pay in a city bar (I think I had a glass of wine for 700 yen) and I'm sure no one would mind if you discreetly went to the windows just to have a look.

It's interesting to see how scarily vast Tokyo is and the building itself is reasonably interesting.

#6 Posted: 24/5/2014 - 20:18

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.