Japan forum

Do I need a return flight to enter Japan?

• cybermutiny

Click here to learn more about cybermutiny
    Joined Travelfish
    10th December, 2013
    Location Thailand

I've heard mixed messages on this. I'm going to Japan on December 14th and plan to stay for most of the 90 maximum days allowed after entry.

However, what I heard is an airline can stop you from boarding a plane bound for Japan if you don't have proof of a flight ticket out of the country. Or if not the airline, it is possible that Japanese security will ask for proof of an ongoing ticket upon arrival.

The reason I wonder about this is because I would rather not have to choose the exact date that I will depart the country. I went to Japan once before, but during that instance I had already purchased a return flight so the whole issue never arose.

Any info you can provide on this will be greatly appreciated.

#1 Posted: 10/12/2013 - 09:18

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
yes you need a return ticket to enter thailand ... By bekk on 4 Nov 2010 28 11222 27 Feb 2013
return tickets to kathmandu and japan from bangkok ... By lisaj on 16 Oct 2006 0 1458 16 Oct 2006
do i need a return flight for indonesia? ... By sallyissxc on 15 Feb 2011 18 8756 20 May 2014
return flight london / kuala lumpur for 300 GBP for sale ... By vesperon on 15 Oct 2009 0 2924 15 Oct 2009