Flag of Laos

Laos forum

just a few questions............for now

• rigo

Joined Travelfish
    29th August, 2006

hi guys,
    i am just fine tuning my itinerary,i have got as far as pakse ( early jan)and wondered what other travellers would recommend we do in the few days that we have down there before we head into cambodia, which of the islands to stay on etc. i also wondered how we would get from eg don det to voen kham(how long) and is it still a nightmare to get from vk to stung treng?
    one last question, is it imperative that we take malaria medication ?
    cheers for now

#1 Posted: 23/10/2006 - 14:08

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi Rigo,

Sorry for the late reply -- your question slipped off the front page and I didn't notice it was unanswered.

Within Si Phan Don there's three main islands, Don Khong, Don Dhet and Don Khon. Of the three I prefer Don Khon as there's a smaller number of places to stay and feels more "local" while Don Dhet is a bit of a bungalow village. Also if you're looking for a splurge for your last couple of nights in Laos, Don Khon has some true gems...

While people continue to complain about that crossing, it really is straightforward -- boat from Don Dhet/Khon to Nakasang, tuk tuk or motorbike to border (around 7km away), deal with immigration then either minibus (cheap) or boat (expensive) to Stung Treng.

Hope that helps

#2 Posted: 29/10/2006 - 07:07

• rigo

Joined Travelfish
    29th August, 2006

thanks for that advice somtam,
    its good to hear that someone found it a straightforward crossing.
    what are your thoughts on malaria medication?
    cheers

#3 Posted: 30/10/2006 - 12:33

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Well , I'm no doctor, but I wouldn't take malarials, rather I'd recommend using a mosquito net, DEET roll-on/spray, burn mosquito coils and dress sensibly at dawn and dusk (long pants, sleeves)...

#4 Posted: 30/10/2006 - 12:50

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.