Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Track from Phonsavan to Paksan ?

• pimprenelle

Joined Travelfish
    1st April, 2010

Hello everybody ! ;)

I'm preparing our rip in Laos (september/october 2010), and we'd like to reach Paksan "directly" from Phonsavan:(without coming back to Vientiane)
    Is it possible? (we'll have a 4x4)
    If yes, how long is it? I'm afraid it'd be a little "muddy", as it's the end of rainy season...
    Thank you for your answers (and sorry for my bad english...i'm from France!lol)
    Christine

#1 Posted: 1/4/2010 - 03:26

• Advertisement

• wanderingcat

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2006
    Total reviews: 4
    Places visited:
    At least 67

In the dry season, buses complete the journey in one long day. In the wet season, they simply don't try. Have heard of people doing it in 2 days on dirt bikes, spending the night in Tha Thom (has one guesthouse). This route has a few stream crossings that seem to get a bit deep in the wet season (based on photos i've seen), & there is a lot of construction work going on (for the next few years), so long sections have been dug up. One NGO i know couldn't get through to access villages in the area during the last rainy season, even though they have a 4X4 vehicle. Best to check on the Laos section of this forum, there are trip reports & photos by people who've done that road before: http://www.gt-rider.com/thailand-motorcycle-forum/

#2 Posted: 1/4/2010 - 08:27

• pimprenelle

Joined Travelfish
    1st April, 2010

Thank you for your help, Wanderingcat ! (the gt-rider forum is now out of work, I'll have to wait a little to have informations)
    It's a pity that works are not finished yet! (we're coming too soon!), but it'll be especially a good thing for locals.

#3 Posted: 1/4/2010 - 15:55

• wanderingcat

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2006
    Total reviews: 4
    Places visited:
    At least 67

#4 Posted: 1/4/2010 - 22:09

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

the gt-rider forum is now out of work

FYI, the GT Rider website has undergone some revamps and has a new look and features:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Apologies for the outage on the forum over the past 24 hours. We just
    upgraded to the latest version of phpBB3 ,and it took 26 hours to process
    the database conversion - 44,000 posts, 6500 Topics and 3900 users...

There will be ongoing amendments over the next few days as we implement a
    new banner advertising module, and install 1 - 2 more other contributions.

WHATS NEW?

1 - Video
    Well, the main enhancement is the ability to run VIDEO in posts... when you are writing / editing a post, you'll see the new buttons in the Editor menu... there are notes on this in the New Board :: Instructions area.

2 - Avatars
    Maximum size has been reduced to accommodate the skinny column on the new
    'dark" template - Fusion64. Previously, we allowed you to have an avatar of up to 140 pixel wide. That is now reduced to 130 pixels, but taller images are ok. See New Board :: Instructions for details.

Forum Upgrade
    If you have any problems, comments or suggestions, post them in the New
    Board :: Instructions forum.
    Cheers
    Ben / Kiwi Cruiser
    GT Rider webmaster / Admin
    --
    Kind Regards
    David Unkovich
    The GT Rider

#5 Posted: 2/4/2010 - 13:54

• pimprenelle

Joined Travelfish
    1st April, 2010

Many thanks, guys ! it seems that this track is "bad", indeed !
    Perhaps, works of construction will be finished till september....
    I come back later for others questions !
    cheers!

#6 Posted: 3/4/2010 - 19:48

• Adamanski

Joined Travelfish
    17th May, 2010

Hi

I'm the guy who wrote meshandy blog in 2008.

I would not recommend driving a 4x4 along that road in the rainy season, you wont make it. There are ongoing roadworks from the far end, but I only just made it thru on a dirt bike and via bamboo rafts. It's impassable. Dry season maybe, but not wet. Hope this helps.

Big thanks to David Unkovich for adding my blog to GT rider, and thanks to wanderingcat for referencing my blog.

All the best

Adam

#7 Posted: 17/5/2010 - 08:15

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.