Flag of Laos

Laos forum

My Laos itinerary... please can you check it?

• kitsune

Joined Travelfish
    10th April, 2010

Hello! I'm off next month for two months to SE Asia on my own. I'm planning to visit Vietnam, Camboya, Laos, Thailand, Malasia y Singapur. Could you please check my Laos itinerary? Thanks!

This was my initial itinerary:

35 10-jun Chiang Rai - Chiang Khong (Huay Xai)
    36 11-jun Huay Xai - Luang Nam Tha (all day? how to get there?)
    37 12-jun Luang Nam Tha
    38 13-jun Luang Nam Tha
    39 14-jun Luang Nam Tha - Luang Prabrang (all day? how to get there?)
    40 15-jun Luang Prabang
    41 16-jun Luang Prabang
    42 17-jun Luang Prabang
    43 18-jun Luang Prabang - Phonsavan
    44 19-jun Phonsavan - Vang Vieng
    45 20-jun Vang Vieng
    46 21-jun Vang Vieng- Vientaine (in the morning) Visit in the afternoon to Xieng Khuan (Buddha's Park)
    47 22-jun Vientaine - KUL

However, the visit to Phonsavan seemed impossible. Moreover, the scenery at Luang Nam Tha seems like that of Luang Prabang or Vang Vieng. So it is worth all the hustle to get to/aways from Luang Nam Tha? So this is a modify version of the itinerary. Could you comment on both? What would you recommend?

35 10-jun Chiang Rai - Chiang Khong (Huay Xai)
    36 11-jun Huay Xai - Pak Beng
    37 12-jun Pak Beng - Luang Prabang
    38 13-jun Luang Prabang
    39 14-jun Luang Prabang
    40 15-jun Luang Prabang
    41 16-jun Luang Prabang - Phonsavan
    42 17-jun Phonsavan
    43 18-jun Phonsavan-Vang Vieng
    44 19-jun Vang Vieng
    45 20-jun Vang Vieng
    46 21-jun Vang Vieng- Vientaine (in the morning) Visit in the afternoon to Xieng Khuan (Buddha's Park)
    47 22-jun Vientaine- KUL

Thank you!

#1 Posted: 11/4/2010 - 20:11

• Advertisement

• wanderingcat

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2006
    Total reviews: 4
    Places visited:
    At least 67

you might get a better response if you let others know what specific interests you have, what you'd like (not) to see & do, your style of travel, tolerance for long bus journeys, etc...

cos i could just recommend a long list of 50 temples along that route based on my own interests - which would totally bore most people to death...or a route that sees minimal foreigners, which could make you feel rather lonely if you enjoy being in the company of many fellow tourists :P

#2 Posted: 13/4/2010 - 10:18

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

the area around Luang Nam Tha is much more rustic than Luang Prabang and Vang Vieng - I'd say they are different enough to give it all a go.

To get from Luang Nam Tha to Luang Prabang you can take a minibus that services from the station - it should take the better part of a day if the roads are as they were back in '08.

Phonsovan is only necessary if you are interested in history. The scenery is just grassy hills with spotted groves of trees. However, the intersection of recent bombing campaigns and ancient stone jars is very interesting. However, the fisrt itinerary though 'possible' is not really - it takes 8 hours to get between LP and Phonsovan.

#3 Posted: 14/4/2010 - 12:24

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

The numbering system is giving me a headache (day 37 X day 38 Y etc) but I guess you want some kind of plan. Laos road travel can be very slow and prone to breakdowns. Leave a few things to chance.

Huay Xai bus to Luang Namtha leaves 9am and 1230pm at last check, and takes about 4 hours (good road). Worth staying a couple nights there and/or doing some trekking in the region. Or rent a bike and do your own tour and see some local villages. A basic map showing the local area is available free around town as well as here http://www.flickr.com/photos/captain-bob/4520151603/sizes/l.

Anyway most of your remaining itinerary is very similar to most travellers (LP,VV,VT) so you will meet lots of people to share ideas with along the way (and see again at the next spot =). I'd just keep your Vientiane-KL flight date in mind and make up the getting there part more flexibly as you go.

#4 Posted: 14/4/2010 - 20:50

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

flexibility - the key word. good for both schedules and lao buses.

#5 Posted: 15/4/2010 - 09:54

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
How to get to Laos and itinerary check!! ... By masem143 on 31 Oct 2010 1 1589 31 Oct 2010
9 Days in Laos - Itinerary Check ... By jlwh on 5 Aug 2010 0 2995 5 Aug 2010
Southern Laos adventure - check itinerary please ... By kiwigirl on 14 Oct 2006 2 2170 20 Oct 2006