Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Tiger Trail cyle trips in LP?

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

Has any taken the
    Tiger Trail cycle trips in Luang Prabang? I'm interested in the really easy, 1 day tours. Any info would be appreciated.

#1 Posted: 16/5/2010 - 02:22

• Advertisement

• LaoNow

Joined Travelfish
    14th May, 2010

I cycle a lot around LP and there is no need to have a guided tour. Just buy a good map (suggest Hobo Maps LP Area Map which specializes in cycling info) and go. Most routes are simple and nearly impossible to get lost. I like the trips out to waterfalls and that map has 3 of them detailed. If you take a guide they always try to rush you back to town but if you go alone you can relax and enjoy. The trip south to Kuang Si falls is very nice and it takes about 3.5 hours one way. There are tourist songtaew buses there eager to haul you back to town if your legs are tired. If I'm feeling lazy I hire a songtaew bus from town to take me and my bike to the peak area on Hwy 13 south of town and start the trip to Tad Sae falls with a fantastic long downhill glide. The closest waterfalls is Tad Thong only about 1 hour south of town and this is a very quiet area, you may be the only tourist there. You can see these places on the web at hobomaps.com.

#2 Posted: 16/5/2010 - 09:53

• idreamofdur-
    ian

TF writer
    Click here to learn more about idreamofdurian
    Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2008
    Location Singapore
    Total reviews: 4

For an easy 1 day trip you could cross over to the Chompet District side of the river. You can go with Tiger Trails or there's a tour office on the other side of the river where you can rent bikes and get a guide. Chompet is quieter, more authentic village life compared to Luang Prabang. There's some small temples and other sites you can visit too.

If you want to go solo to save money, lots of places rent bikes and sell maps. I second what LaoNow said - Hobo Maps are GREAT!

#3 Posted: 17/5/2010 - 01:15

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007

One reason I'm thinking about Tiger Trails is that I believe they have decent mountain bikes? I've rented some of those cheapie Chinese bikes B4 in Vietnam and no thanks! Am I right or wrong?

#4 Posted: 17/5/2010 - 07:53

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007

I've seen the Hobomap site, and I agree. Do they sell the Hobomaps in LP? Detail would be too small if I printed them out from the site.

#5 Posted: 17/5/2010 - 07:57

• LaoNow

Joined Travelfish
    14th May, 2010

You don't really need to rent a high quality mountain bike to get around outside LP, I like to rent the Asama peddle bikes from the shop beside Luang Say Cruise office and they also sometimes have Hobo Maps for sale, as do the 2 bookshops in LP, Monument and L'etranger. These Asama bikes are single gear jobs but somehow do a better job at both ends of the peddling spectrum. I enjoy getting off and walking my bike up the steepest hills. Remember to guard against bag theft and bike theft in LP as in Vientiane. I agree Chomphet is a nice option.

#6 Posted: 17/5/2010 - 09:07

• wanderingcat

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2006
    Total reviews: 4
    Places visited:
    At least 67

if planning to go really deep into the riverside part of Chomphet to look for temples, perhaps better to just walk?

upriver from the temple with the cave (IO209 on this map), the further i went, the more the tracks there (at least those closet to the Mekong) didn't seem suitable for cycling. oft wide enough for only one person to pass at a time, with fence ladders to climb over, & also gullies (would be very muddy in wet season). it's a place in LPB where the presence of tourists still astonishes locals :P

#7 Posted: 17/5/2010 - 10:20

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007

Thanks for all the great info - much appreciated. I must say, the people on the Laos Forum are especially informative and very nice!

#8 Posted: 18/5/2010 - 06:03

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.