Flag of Laos

Laos forum

motorbike LP to VV

• travel2011

Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2010

Hello all. We are a family of four (two boys age 6 and 10) going to Laos next febr + march. We are so excitet about it:-). As part of the trip we will go from LP to VV - but to avoid motion sickness, we will like to do that part on motorbikes. Does anybody know if it is possibel to rent bikes in LP and drop them in VV, as we just want to go one way?
    Thanks.

Gitte

#1 Posted: 18/5/2010 - 01:01

• Advertisement

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

You can do this, but do you seriously want to take your 6 yo on a motor bike in Laos? I certainly would not do this.

#2 Posted: 18/5/2010 - 07:42

• travel2011

Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2010

Yes - I would do this. We have done it in Vietnam when the boys were 2 and 6 years, and it work out perfectly. I will of course do some investigation about the road conditions and trafic (talk to people when we are in Laos), andt if we find it ok we will certainly do it. We have been travelling around SE-Asia with the boys several times and always done it in a responsible way (I think):-). But thank you for your concern.
    Gitte

#3 Posted: 18/5/2010 - 12:04

• svendj

Joined Travelfish
    30th April, 2010
    Location Belgium
    Places visited:
    At least 32

possibility of renting a bike in LP and going to VV is something I'm not sure about. You can buy one and try to sell it in VV again.
    The road from LP to VV is ok, not a lot of traffic but I wouldn't drive at night! Me and my mate TRY to do it the other way around last year but our bike couldn't take it cause it was all uphill so we had to go back to VV. so from LP to VV no problem, VV to LP only if you have good bike!.

I would defenitly do this because that's when you meet the locals and see how beautifull laos is where tourists almost never go.
    If the kids are used of sitting on a bike then it won't be a big of a problem, just a 1 day trip so it's not that long.

love to hear about this trip when you finished it so post something here next year then I'l get e-mailed by it!
    Sven

#4 Posted: 19/5/2010 - 17:29

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

LP to VV you almost certainly can't unless you get the bike trucked from VV to Vientiane . LP to Vientiane you can; there are a couple of hire places that allow this.
    Well, I live here and I would not and do not ride a motorbike - it's too dangerous.

#5 Posted: 20/5/2010 - 07:01

• travel2011

Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2010

Thank you for your reply. It seems it is not that 'straight foreward' - but on the other hand not impossible either. We will give it a try and see how it woorks out. If it is too difficult we could always rent a car - but will much prefer the bikes.
    Gitte

#6 Posted: 20/5/2010 - 13:21

• ookujam

Joined Travelfish
    22nd May, 2010

Maybe this is interesting for you http://www.greendiscoverylaos.com/motorbike/rt.html
    I'm not sure if u can pick up in LP and return in VV but i'm sure you dont have to pay for asking! ;)

Hope u have safe journey!

#7 Posted: 23/5/2010 - 13:25

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

It's not easily arranged to do a one-way rental. Not cheap either. Consider to get in touch with Jule's Classic Rental based in Vientiane - http://www.bike-rental-laos.com which does one-way rentals, but going from LP you'd be relying on whatever bike(s) they may have in need of a return to base. The owner Thierry is a very helpful guy though and since you have lots of time in advance it wouldn't hurt to ask him. He only allows certain bikes to be taken up/down country though, which are mostly 200cc enduro or offroad bikes at about $25/day. You would also probably need to ride to Vientiane not just V V. It's definitely a good route for a motorbike though, have ridden it on a crappy little 110cc scooter the last few times.

#8 Posted: 31/5/2010 - 13:45

• travel2011

Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2010

Thanks again folks for your usefull information about this topic. I hope to figure a way to do this leg of the trip on bikes:-).

Gitte

#9 Posted: 1/6/2010 - 01:23

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Six years old for hours on a bike? I don't know. I would be concerned about safety issues. I ride here in Thailand, but I would not take my daughter on my bike to another province.

#10 Posted: 1/6/2010 - 22:17

• Advertisement

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

I warned them about the dangers, Mac. Didn't want to know.."Yes - I would do this."

#11 Posted: 2/6/2010 - 14:06

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

Just yesterday some f**** dh in a Vigo was coming home from a party, drunk of course, doing 130 at least, and ran straight into the back of a friend's tractor. The Vigo was demolished, the tractor tipped over and the driver is dead.

#12 Posted: 2/6/2010 - 14:19

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

God knows I love the people out here - but they can't drive for ****. Terrible drivers who think cutting corners is what you are suppose to do - they don't know what right looks like. Solid Yellow lines mean "past faster because you don't have as much time or space." Blinking lights don't mean anything at all, just drive through the intersection as you please. At night it's easier, because there is a lot less traffic, BUT everyone who is on the road is drunk (and that's barely an exageration - certainly most of them are drunk). I take my little girl to school on my bike, but it's a short drive, I use back roads, and I watch out for every Thai very carefully because I know they can't drive.

When driving on the highways I have had (on many occassions) people driving against traffic, coming out from behind a parked truck without looking to see if someone is coming, passing vehicles come into my lane when I don't have room to make space - just missing a head on collision (for which I gave them the foot), etc.

#13 Posted: 3/6/2010 - 12:31

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

Totally agree Mac, and the Lao are worse drivers if thats possible. Mind you, I was driving to tow today and an idiot westerner on a pushbike cut directly in front of me as I was driving off on a green light; if I hadn't been conentrating I would have collected him. Who knows, maybe the disease is catching?

#14 Posted: 3/6/2010 - 13:34

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Rufus
    It is. Even I find myself cutting corners, because if I turn wide like I am suppose to around a vehicle which is stopped at an intersection, there's a good chance he'll drive into me. He EXPECTS me to cut the corner - he thinks that's how you are suppose to drive. I actually had a guy yell at me for turning properly. He thought that was "wrong". So now I cut corners because I know if I don't I am more at risk. Drivers here just flat out suck.

#15 Posted: 4/6/2010 - 00:20

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

Yeah, I know what you mean. I cut corners too and worse I have started running red lights. There is nothing that makes you run a red light more than having a Vigo barreling up behind you, and running up your a*** because he doesn't expect you to stop.

#16 Posted: 4/6/2010 - 07:44

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Well at least they're not running red lights here. The blinking ones confuse them, but the solid ones they've got. But overall, driving here is an adventure, no question.

#17 Posted: 4/6/2010 - 18:13

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.