Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Laos in 2 weeks

• Shane10

Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2010

I'll be doing a backpacking trip for about 36 days, spending 2 weeks in vietnam and 2 weeks in Laos. Will be heading to Sapa and going back to Hanoi for my last stop in vietnam. Few questions considering Laos.

1) Is there a direct bus from Hanoi to Luarang Prabang? Know there is one to Vientiane but then I need to move up from Vientiane to Lurang Prabang and back to Vientiane to catch my flight out to KL(alrdy book the tix)

2) What do you think I can do in 2 weeks in Laos? Anything substantial?

3) How much money in USD you think I would need to change for Laos for 2 weeks?

Thanks!

#1 Posted: 18/5/2010 - 09:50

• Advertisement

• svendj

Joined Travelfish
    30th April, 2010
    Location Belgium
    Places visited:
    At least 32

1) I'm not sure about that bus to luang prabang, cause the border crossing is closer to Vientianne then LP. (to vientianne : 13h, vientianne to LP : 10h) so it's a lot of time you spend on the bus, why not fly from Hanoi to Vientianne and go bus up and down to LP and in the middle make a stopover at Vang Vieng .

2)what to do, Vientianne, Vang Vieng and LP should do it for 2 weeks and maybe some jungle hiking.

3) Everybody is always thinking about how much money they need to bring to change, I never take any money with me, just my creditcard and get some money from the ATM. I always took off about 700000 Lao-kip ($90) and I managed about 4 days with that kind of money (partying everyday included)

#2 Posted: 27/5/2010 - 01:18

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

You can cross at Sam Neua (Na Maew / Nam Xoi)

http://www.travelfish.org/laos-border-crossings.php

That way you can cross into the rustic Northeast of the country and take a few days getting to Luang Prabang via Nong Kiaow (a nice little bridge village) and the surrounding area. Rather than a direct bus it's nice to break up the long journey from Hanoi - Sam Neua, Sam Neua to Nong Kiaow, Nong Kiaow to Luang Prabang. I think you could do that and still have a few days for Vang Vieng and/or Vientiane if you like - just short stops to rest in Sam Neua and Nong Kiaow.

So, for two weeks you'd be able to see a few little villages/towns in the north and ride through some pretty jungle roads.

#3 Posted: 27/5/2010 - 12:25

• idreamofdur-
    ian

TF writer
    Click here to learn more about idreamofdurian
    Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2008
    Location Singapore
    Total reviews: 4

The travel agencies in Luang Prabang will advertise a "Luang Prabang -- Hanoi " bus, but it actually stops in Vientiane .

The Vientiane -- Hanoi bus is known as the "bus from hell" and takes ~25 hours. I'd strongly suggest you break up the trip with a day or 2 in Vientiane or check flight prices.

#4 Posted: 28/5/2010 - 00:04

• travelsalone

Joined Travelfish
    19th March, 2006
    Location Cambodia

2) Nong Kiau is a beautiful place and there are different kayaking and hiking options there through Green Discovery that are really good. The boat from Luang Prabang to Nong Kiau was a beautiful ride - but be prepared for wooden seat and only 1 toilet stop! I did a three day river kayak trip to go back and that was great. About 40 min. from Vientiene there is a place on the river (River Time) that is great for hanging out, swimming, doing nothing if that is what you seek at any time.

#5 Posted: 28/5/2010 - 23:03

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

I would avoid using Green Discovery. I have had a number of poor experiences with them and I know of a number of others who have as well.

#6 Posted: 29/5/2010 - 09:50

• travelsalone

Joined Travelfish
    19th March, 2006
    Location Cambodia

I had a wonderful trip and no problems. As with every company, for every negative experience someone has there is always a positive experience to contradict it. I was not thrilled with the staff in one of the Luang Prabang offices, but was very pleased with the staff in Nong Kiau. I think when planning a trip it is about talking with the people and seeing how you feel about it - you know, what kind of "vibe" you get. Just my opinion.

#7 Posted: 29/5/2010 - 14:05

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

Each to her own. However when they totally misrepresent a hike, and this has nothing to do with the language, as my wife speaks Lao, they lose me. Also after a brief flurry of activity from the new manager, we heard nothing, no apology, nothing. Others have had the same experience.

#8 Posted: 29/5/2010 - 15:28

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.