Flag of Laos

Laos forum

How long to spend in Vientiene and Luang Prabang??

• scahn

Joined Travelfish
    10th June, 2010

I've heard such mixed things about these two places. 4 friends I will be travelling in Laos at the end of November. We're all 19 and really want to get a taste of the place - not only the backpackers scene. I'd love to hear some suggestions on how long to spend in Vientiene and Luang Prabang.

#1 Posted: 10/6/2010 - 16:33

• Advertisement

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

I've never been to Vientiene - my old roommate who's family is from Laos went back to visit. Even with family there he doesn't find the place that impressive, told me if I ever go back I could spend 2 nights max. I'm also not big on trying to find 'the party'.

Luang Prabang I enjoyed. It's nice place to base camp for day long bike rides into the country, or take a trip to the waterfalls, up the mekong, get some good food and relax within your vacation - not always be on the road and 'roughing' it. However, I wouldn't put too many days at the expense of exploring more northern areas. I'd say 3/4 nights in Luang Prabang would be more than enough to soak the area in.

I guess it really depends on how much of 'the end of November' you have in Laos.

#2 Posted: 10/6/2010 - 17:53

• LaoNow

Joined Travelfish
    14th May, 2010

If you are travelling by road between Vientiane and Luang Prabang you should stop in Vang Vieng on the way and spend at least 2 days there. It's so different then either Vientiane or LP and its very popular with young people for outdoor activities in a great natural setting. Most people either love or hate Vang Vieng but when you get back home, people will ask what it was like there and you'd hate to say you missed it. Other than that I think most people like LP much better than Vientiane and it also has great outdoor stuff to do with cycling, hiking, waterfalls, etc. Vientiane could be missed altogether.

#3 Posted: 10/6/2010 - 19:42

• scahn

Joined Travelfish
    10th June, 2010

Really appreciate the responses! Yes, we'll definitely be visiting Vang Vieng - I've actually heard only good things. It's just these 2 spots that I'm not 100% sure about. We're spending 2 weeks in Laos, so I'm trying to divide that between Vientienne, Vang Vieng, The Gibbon and Luang Prabang.

#4 Posted: 10/6/2010 - 19:52

• catherine25

Joined Travelfish
    25th May, 2010

Hi

We are going to Laos in a few weeks, we intended to spend 2 days in Vientiane then 3 days in Vang Vieng (tubing!) and then 3 days in Luang Prabang but are going to an elephant sanctuary there for one of the days, it looks amazing called Elephant Village, then we are flying on to Hanoi!

Hope that helps!

#5 Posted: 11/6/2010 - 00:06

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Scahn, I think your best bet is to just work your way south from the Gibbon Experience and see how much time you have left as you go along rather than planning ahead.

Chances are that you'll be rather time strapped by the time you get to Vientiane but you sound like you'd enjoy the other stuff better anyway.

#6 Posted: 11/6/2010 - 00:29

• idreamofdur-
    ian

TF writer
    Click here to learn more about idreamofdurian
    Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2008
    Location Singapore
    Total reviews: 4

Don't miss the COPE Visitors Centre in Vientiane to learn about UXOs/landmines in Laos -- http://www.copelaos.org/

#7 Posted: 11/6/2010 - 13:50

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

Vientiane has a lot more to offer than the Cope centre, though, yes, that is worth a visit. To say Vientiane "could be missed altogether" is the comment of someone who does not know the place at all. You can easily spend two full days there.

Three days in Vang Vieng is too much for me, but then I am not into the drunken tubing scene. If you want to get a taste for the place, go to Xieng Khouan and visit the Plain of Jars.

#8 Posted: 11/6/2010 - 16:24

• Nokka

Joined Travelfish
    6th April, 2009
    Location United Kingdom

I enjoyed my 2 nights in Vientiane at the end of our stay in Laos. Eating at the outside restaurants along the Mekong, having a massage at the Blind Masseuse place, wandering round the markets or the town generally. Its a nice place.

We stayed in VV for one night and were scammed, fed badly and not treated by the local Lao population like anywhere else in the country. I didn't go tubing, so can't comment on that, though all we spoke to obviously enjoyed it tremendously. I'm sure if I was 19, I'd go for a few days.

For an an old fart like me, LP was much better. The city and surroundings are beautiful and are worth a stay of several days, in my opinion. When we were there many backpackers would arrive after the 2 day boat trip, stay one night and then dash as fast as possible to VV. Each to their own. We went to the elephant place, a wonderful day learning to be a mahout, including riding to the river and washing the nellies. Plus cycling around the town and nearby. Bliss. There are also lots of good places to eat and drink in town, especially if you move a little away from the night market area. Strangely, most stay in the restaurants selling pizzas and other western stuff near the market. Sometimes, even in places which appear to appeal to those who are a little more adventurous, people will huddle together and only eat what they eat at home. It was something that surprised and confused us all the way round the region.

We also spent 3 night upriver at Nong Khiaow; went one way by boat (7 hrs) and back by minibus. A real highlight, a wonderful day trek to local villages, NK itself is beautifully located, the trip upriver lovely. We spent 2 weeks in total in Laos and regretted immediately that we didn't have longer.

#9 Posted: 11/6/2010 - 18:57

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

Nong Khiaow is wonderful. For a strange place to hang out with shotgun roosters you can go up river to Muang Ngoi (no road access only boats). There is a nice sandy beach on the river next to the temple at the north end of town - plenty of hanging out - and easy to get away from the 'scene' and into the woods/fields.

VV always gets mixed reviews and that's why I skipped heading south from LP and went out to Phonsovan and the Plain of Jars instead. But if you aren't interested in history it isn't a place you should go. The scenery is not nearly as pretty as NK and other parts of the north and it isn't just a quick jaunt afield.

#10 Posted: 12/6/2010 - 09:10

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Savannakhet to Luang Prabang, but not via Vientiene? ... By gingermark on 17 Apr 2009 1 3757 28 Apr 2009
Hanoi-Sapa-Luang Prabang-Vientiene ... By taylor123 on 17 May 2010 7 5005 5 Jun 2010
boat trip Luang Prabang 2 Vientiene ... By mongoose on 28 Jan 2007 6 6571 23 Nov 2008
Chiang Mai>Chiang Rai>Luang Prabang>Vientiene ... By mukapecah8 on 2 Sep 2009 9 9340 4 Sep 2009
Chiang Mai to Luang Prabang - how long?? ... By pikkumyy09 on 31 Mar 2008 1 2620 2 Apr 2008
Hanoi or Hoi An to Luang Prabang. How hard/long/expensive??? ... By jenniemcmartin on 9 Dec 2008 1 3127 13 Dec 2008
Travelling Chiang Kong to Luang Prabang by long boat - Advice please!! ... By cellabella on 23 Feb 2007 5 2811 24 Feb 2007
Luang Prabang to Vientiane the long way round (ie avoiding Vang Viieng) ... By KirstyB on 27 Nov 2011 3 1542 8 Dec 2011
Vientiene, Luang Prabung and?.... ... By furneburner on 9 Oct 2009 18 2483 17 Oct 2009
How long to spend in Chiang Mai? ... By sackonmyback on 25 Jul 2006 1 2623 25 Jul 2006