Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Is the world cup on Lao TV?

• kernowfixing

Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2010

guys any help with this would be appreciated!

i am crossing the from Thailand into Laos in a couple of days time. i am not a massive football nut but it is the world cup and i would love some information on how easy it is to watch some games on Laos TV....cheers for any of your feedback about this....and best of luck to all 32 teams playing.

#1 Posted: 10/6/2010 - 17:04

• Advertisement

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

Yes, it is shown ay Kob Jai Der.

#2 Posted: 11/6/2010 - 08:11

• agarlao

Joined Travelfish
    13th June, 2008

As I write, it's Friday morning here and the first game is in about 10 hours time. I just checked the schedule on all my sports channels (True Visions satellite TV).The game is not on the foreign sports channels but is on Thai TV which is the TV watched by most Lao people. I think it was Channel 3, which is Channel on my receiver. You should have no problem in a hotel or guest house with TV. Half of the games are broadcast in the early hours of the morning here, but I don't know if bars and restaurants like Kob Jai Der and Blue Bananas (wide screen TV) will be allowed to stay open.

#3 Posted: 11/6/2010 - 10:41

• Barns

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location Laos

Kop Jai Der, according to the email I got, is showing games at 6:00 and 9:30 pm, which doesn't fit in with the schedule of the cup itself (apart from the 9:30 one) so I presume it will be replays of the previous day's games and doesn't include live screenings of the 1:30 kick-offs.

Simon, the manager of Blue Bananas, says he will be showing the evening matches but not the 1:30 ones.

For games involving France, Switzerland or Germany, the French Language Centre (on Lane Xang Avenue) is staying open for the late night matches, including tonight's France v Uruguay game.

#4 Posted: 11/6/2010 - 12:56

• Barns

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location Laos

Sorry to double post but I forgot to say that the matches are apparently being shown on Thai channels 3, 5, 7 and 11 in rotation, all of which should be widely available in hotels, guesthouses etc.

Unfortunately, bars aren't officially allowed to open until late enough for the 1:30 kick-offs. I haven't heard of any that are showing England matches anyway and our first two are both at 1:30! Grr!

#5 Posted: 11/6/2010 - 12:59

• Barns

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location Laos

Make that channels 3,7,9 and 11! Dunno why you aren't able to just edit posts on here instead of having to make a new one every time...or have I missed something?

#6 Posted: 11/6/2010 - 16:11

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

Its alos on at the french language centre, I noticed today.

#7 Posted: 11/6/2010 - 16:19

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

So, no English commentary live broadcast available in Laos either? Same in Thailand, with one glaring exception: Those True Visions customers who upgrade to their HD offering - 2000 baht installation fee plus 300-500b/mo. depending on promotional offer. This gets you just 2 additional channels: HBO-HD and TrueSport-HD. Minimum six months contract and if you downgrade back to normal service you don't get the 2000b back until you terminate your True Visions service completely. Meanwhile they have bought the exclusive FIFA WC 2010 English broadcast rights for Thailand, meaning you won't find it on any of the cable providers as was possible 4 years ago on the likes of SuperSport. Gee, thanks True for screwing us over.

Rant finished =)

#8 Posted: 13/6/2010 - 11:18

• Barns

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location Laos

Apparently, the TrueSports HD offering doesn't even have English-language commentary either so it's either Thai commentary or trying to synch it with the radio on the Internet or something. I don't really mind Thai commentary myself, quite used to it by now! Kap, Kap, Kappity-Kap!

#9 Posted: 14/6/2010 - 16:54

• Captain_Bob

Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

You're right Barns, the guy at the True Visions shop was trying to sell me the HD upgrade saying I'd get the original English commentary for the World Cup. Liar Liar, even TrueSport HD just carries the licensed video-only broadcast overdubbed with Thai commentary.

There have apparently been problems between FIFA and the Thai licensee RS Public Company Limited with the Thai broadcast ending up in Laos and Cambodia, to the point where FIFA threatened to pull the plug for Thai broadcast completely. Hopefully we'll get through the next month without it turning into a total greedfest.

Trying to synch with internet-based radio/audio I've had no luck - too much delay and/or unreliable feeds. I've also just accepted that it's Thai commentary or none at all, which suits me fine (krappity krap krap) but my backpacker customers would still prefer phasa Angrit ;-(

#10 Posted: 15/6/2010 - 14:31

• Advertisement

• agarlao

Joined Travelfish
    13th June, 2008

As well as English commentary, it would be nice to also hear some singing, chanting, clapping, gasping, etc. istead of the unending, inexpressive buzz of the vuvuzelas. But then, Blatter and FIFA always make the wrong decisions, usually because they don't even consider making changes (reference the Franve v Ireland fiasco plus not allowing limited appeals using today's wonderful video technology.

I've emailed FIFA about this, which probably just goes to show that I've got too much time recently!

#11 Posted: 17/6/2010 - 11:17

• Captain_Bob

Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

The amount of money now generated by the WC is phenomenal, but I fear the FIFA folks are getting a bit too greedy with licensing of broadcasts. And I couldn't agree more about the vuvuzelas - what ever happened to the awesome sound of a roaring crowd? Now it's just like a mob of children who have been given noise makers and free reign to abuse them. "Hey check me out I have this loud plastic thing - honk honk honk, how amusing!"

#12 Posted: 18/6/2010 - 00:45

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.