Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Info on Laos and Bangkok air pass

• longleat

Joined Travelfish
    12th October, 2006

Does anyone have current information on the airpass. From what I understand this pass can be used in Laos and Cambodia. $50. per flight withink the country and $90. from one to the other. But I have only read this and really have no confirmation that this is correct. Are there two passes, one through Bangkok airlines on one Lao Airlines? Also, how can this be purchased? Any help would be very much appreciated.

#1 Posted: 4/11/2006 - 08:48

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi longleat,

Have you taken a look at the Discovery Airpass page on the Bangkok Airways website?

It can be used throughout the region -- here is a map marking out the route

The pass is used interchangeably between Bangkok Airways, Lao Airline and Siem Reap Airlines (which is really just a part of Bangkok Airways).

You cannot purchase it in Thailand -- it needs to be purchased via a travel agent outside of there -- I'm not sure if it can be bought in Cambodia, Laos or Vietnam...

Hope that helps -- if you are planning on flying a lot of routes it is a great deal.

#2 Posted: 4/11/2006 - 15:01

• longleat

Joined Travelfish
    12th October, 2006

Thanks so much somtam2000! You have given me great information on many posts. Perhaps someone out there knows if I can purchase the pass in Laos. We will not be traveling into Thailand anyway on this trip. Again, thanks!

#3 Posted: 4/11/2006 - 22:07

• sleepygirl

Joined Travelfish
    28th September, 2006

Hi there!!

I've just recently purchased the pass for flights btw Thailand, Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia! Awesome value! All I did was directly email the local Bangkok Airways office (I'm in Australia) and they just gave me a full listing of all available flights for my itinerary and I booked via email and went to their office to pay! Easy peasy :) The ticket is just like a regular flight ticket but with mulitple destinations/airlines.
    I think it's better to buy them beforehand cos certain flight legs are already booked out and they don't necessarily fly frequently per day/every day of the week!

Cheers!

#4 Posted: 6/11/2006 - 08:12

• longleat

Joined Travelfish
    12th October, 2006

Thanks, Sleepygirl. I will see if I can work through their office in New York. Can you tell me what you paid for the internal flights and also flights from one country to another. I also did not know that the pass can include Vietnam. That is great for me as we plan to go there at the end of our stays in Laos and Cambodia.

#5 Posted: 6/11/2006 - 20:12

• longleat

Joined Travelfish
    12th October, 2006

It seems there is no office for Bangkok Airways in the US. So, does anyone know if the airpass can be purchased once we arrive in Laos or how I can get one before I leave the US? Thanks so much!

#6 Posted: 7/11/2006 - 02:00

• rincon

Joined Travelfish
    8th November, 2006

Call Bangkok airways 1-866-Bangkok and reserve your tickets. They will give you the name of their agent in your area to mail your payment. They have agents in all the major city areas of US. They email the instructions of where to pay including using a credit card, however, they charge 5% for credit card.It couldn't be simpler.

#7 Posted: 8/11/2006 - 11:12

• sleepygirl

Joined Travelfish
    28th September, 2006

Hi longleat, I paid $50USD for domestic and $90USD international flights plus about $80 of service/processing/fuel fees.

Here are the contact details in New York:

350 Fifth Avenue, Suite 1421, New York, NY 10018, USA

Toll Free : 1 866 BANGKOK
    Fax : (212) 279 6602
    Email Address : nyc@bangkokairwaysna.com

Also, for flights to Vietnam the only route is from either Luang Prabang or Vientiane to Hanoi.. so you can't use it for any other city in Vietnam!

Best of luck!! I got contact details from the website, hopefully it is current info so you can pay your tickets by cash, and save the fee for credit card!

Let me know if you have more questions! =)

#8 Posted: 8/11/2006 - 14:11

• sleepygirl

Joined Travelfish
    28th September, 2006

Hi longleat, I paid $50USD for domestic and $90USD international flights plus about $80 of service/processing/fuel fees.

Here are the contact details in New York:

350 Fifth Avenue, Suite 1421, New York, NY 10018, USA

Toll Free : 1 866 BANGKOK
    Fax : (212) 279 6602
    Email Address : nyc@bangkokairwaysna.com

Also, for flights to Vietnam the only route is from either Luang Prabang or Vientiane to Hanoi.. so you can't use it for any other city in Vietnam!

Best of luck!! I got contact details from the website, hopefully it is current info so you can pay your tickets by cash, and save the fee for credit card!

Let me know if you have more questions! =)

#9 Posted: 8/11/2006 - 14:32

• longleat

Joined Travelfish
    12th October, 2006

Thank you so much! I have sent them an e-mail and hope to get their response soon. You have been such a big help!

#10 Posted: 8/11/2006 - 21:01

• Advertisement

• KPTham1

Joined Travelfish
    26th September, 2006

Hi,longleat,
    You may want to check out Laos Airlines Excursion Pass which I think is cheaper.
    BKK/VTE/Luang Prabang?chiangmai is only $196 + security charges ,
    They also have excursion pass combination to Vietnam, Cambodia and even Kunming ( China).
    I just got mine VTE/LPQ/Chiangmai Excursion pass for $117 . Good value I think.
    Also, cheaper to fly Air Asia from BKK sometimes.

Pl check out :

www.laos-airlines.com
    www.airasia.com

Happy surfing/flying

#11 Posted: 9/11/2006 - 03:10

• longleat

Joined Travelfish
    12th October, 2006

Thanks, KPTham1;
    We will not be going to Thailand at all. We will fly from the US into Laos, then on to Cambodia and hope to fly home from HCMC. Does your advice still fit these plans without Thailand? I will also check the sites you mentioned. Thanks!

#12 Posted: 9/11/2006 - 04:09

• KPTham1

Joined Travelfish
    26th September, 2006

Hi,longleat,
    Yes, Loas Air Excursion Passes take you major places in Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam. You should be able to cover the places you want.

Cheers

#13 Posted: 9/11/2006 - 11:33

• longleat

Joined Travelfish
    12th October, 2006

Re. the Laos Air Excursion Pass: I have found the info on their website. Does anyone know how to purchase from the US? Also, will I need to make reservations for specific flights before we leave the US? We are all set to arrive in Hanoi in May and plan to use the Laos Air Pass to Vientiane and then to Siem Reap. Any advise you can give for booking will be greatly appreciated.

#14 Posted: 4/1/2007 - 08:13

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi longleat,

For purchase in the USA, does message #9 above help or was that a dead-end?

I believe you need to book the first date bt that others can set and altered as required.

#15 Posted: 4/1/2007 - 08:52

• longleat

Joined Travelfish
    12th October, 2006

There is an office for Bangkok Air in the US. But I am thinking the Laos Air Excursion Pass is a better value for us according to their prices on their website. So I want to book with them instead. Thanks for any help you can give!

#16 Posted: 4/1/2007 - 20:47

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Bangkok Airways Discovery Pass Info ... By michmich11 on 29 May 2008 3 11485 5 Feb 2009