Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Starting in Paske

• JoeFox17

Joined Travelfish
    21st June, 2010

Hello all, just joined!

My route is Vietnam - Cambodia - Laos - North Thailand - Flight to South Thailand - Bangkok - Singapore.

I'm on my way to Siem Reap tomorrow and I plan on staying there a few days to check out the temples. I did a bit of reading and weighed up my options and decided I would fly to Laos rather than backtrack on myself and go through all the hassle. I'm flying with Laos Airlines and I'm going to Pakse . I've did some reading and note taking - I've yet to pick up my Laos lonely planet, which should proably ease my worrying a little. I know what I would like to see, it's merely co-ordinating it at this point and I keep getting confused where everything and don't really want to be going round in circles.

I want to see the 4,000 islands if possile and I know thats in Don Khon which is south of Pakse - a 4-6 hour drive right?

Then I wanted to see the Bolevan Plateau, I think thats in Champansak which is west of Pakse right?

Would like to see Wat Phou too, but I don't know where that is, then head up to Vientiane and eventually into Thailand in the Chang Rai direction

I'm struggling to co-ordinate the best route and would really apprecite some help!

Also, is there a Thai embassy in Laos where I can get my visa for 30days instead of a 20 day one (as I'll be crossing over land), do I have to pay etc?

Cheers.

#1 Posted: 21/6/2010 - 20:11

• Advertisement

• svendj

Joined Travelfish
    30th April, 2010
    Location Belgium
    Places visited:
    At least 32

Your plan from flying into pakse and then going to 4000 islands is not the best solution I think.
    I'd book a bus from Siem reap to 4000 islands, otherwise you would have to come back down from pakse (it's not 4-6 hours, only 2-3h).

So stopover at 4000 islands (best place to stay is Don Det and do a day trip to don Khone (not don khong!!!) from here I'd go to pakse, relax a bit and rent a motherbike to drive back down to champasak (it's a real experience if you do it yourself by bike), about 1.30h by motorbike, cross the river on a small raft with your motorbike to get to the temples(wat phou)! In the evening drive back to pakse.
    You have to ask the locals to show you directions and stuff, so if you speak a little bit of lao it might help you in a way cause you'll need it.

Thai embassy is in vientianne you can go there by yourself to arrange your visa or just drop it off at a guesthouse and for a few dollars more you got your visa the next day.
    If you get your visa in advance you don't have to pay at the border, just a few border fees you'll have to pay, I think it's 1 dollar in total and a small fee for the bus to take you to thailand.

#2 Posted: 21/6/2010 - 20:53

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

If you fly to Pakse and then head south to the Si Phan Don area, you WILL be backtracking.

You could avoid this by going from Siem Reap to the border crossing at Veun Kham/Dom Kralor by land. This crossing will take you into the Si Phan Don area. From there you will go north along the Mekong towards Pakse. Champasak is on the opposite side of the river, about 40 km south of Pakse. Wat Phu is 10 km south of Champasak. There is a ferry crossing at Ban Muang, about 5 km west of the main highway.

From Champasak you can continue on to Pakse by land or by boat and, from there, head to the Bolaven Plateau.

If you cross into Laos this way you'll probably need to have your Laotian visa beforehand. You can get your Thai visa in Vientiane. Yes, you have to pay.

Also, you say that your route is North Thailand - Flight to South Thailand - Bangkok - Singapore. Are you planning on flying to southern Thailand and then going back to Bangkok and then Singapore? If so, I would suggest that you don't fly to southern Thailand. Go from northern Thailand down to Bangkok by land, then continue by train or bus to southern Thailand, unless you're really pressed for time. You can continue on to Singapore by land (train or bus) through Malaysia, or you can take a flight from Phuket.

Good luck.

#3 Posted: 21/6/2010 - 20:56

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Didn't mean to repeat what you typed out Sven. I was typing mine out as you were posting yours.

#4 Posted: 21/6/2010 - 20:57

• fondo

Joined Travelfish
    23rd June, 2006
    Total reviews: 19
    Places visited:
    At least 98

I think flying into Pakse is fine. Don Khon etc are really only just down the road.

#5 Posted: 22/6/2010 - 06:58

• somsai

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2006
    Location United States

I'm with fondo, and a heck of a lot of people hanging out in Pakse are going or coming from Si pon don (4000 beckpecker islands)

Boloven Plateau is in Champasak Province, so is Pakse and everything else.

Maps are your freind
    http://www.ecotourismlaos.com/maps_champasak.htm
    I'd skip the guide and get a map.

#6 Posted: 22/6/2010 - 07:33

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.