Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Bus from Luang Prabang to Vang Vieng with 2 kids - need advice

• alainj

Joined Travelfish
    2nd July, 2010

I am planning to travel from Luang Prabang to Vang Vieng by bus with 2 kids (8 year olds).

Because of the two kids, I would like to find a way to make sure the trip (5+ hours) is reasonably pleasant.
    So after reading many threads on this forum, I am debating between a VIP bus and renting a mini-van. The VIP bus would be fine but I keep reading stories about A/C not working, sitting on plastic chairs, etc.

Would anyone be able to recommend a good travel agency in LP where I could either book a mini-van with driver, or reserve some decent seats in a decent VIP bus (assuming this is even possible)?

I am flying into LP, so obviously I could fly to VT, but, from what I read, the journey is breathtaking, so I was trying find a middle ground, even if it will cost a bit more than the traditional bus or mini-van fare.

Any advice will be welcome.

Alain

#1 Posted: 2/7/2010 - 17:52

• Advertisement

• Nokka

Joined Travelfish
    6th April, 2009
    Location United Kingdom

I travelled this route last December on the VIP bus. It took about 6 hours, though the bus was comfortable enough. The scenery on that route is quite breathtaking it is true. The road, though, is very twisty with hardly a straight bit for the entire journey. We stopped once for some lunch. The VIP bus was very nice.

The trip was fine (and cheap), but with 2 young kids and a bigger budget I would consider the minivan. I seem to remember speaking with a Canadian guy there who was taking a private minibus for him and his family and I'm sure he said it was gonna cost $70. I think. Your Guesthouse will give information, plus there are lots of travel agencies in town. It won't be a problem arranging it. Certainly, if I were to do the trip again I would go the minibus route. Don't get me wrong, the bus was fine; but the extra flexibility the minivan will give, including stopping when you wish to look out over those incredible views would make the extra cost worthwhile.

Interestingly, from Vang Vieng we caught another 'VIP' bus to Vientiane , which was terrible. This bus was completely knackered, no suspension, one guy refused to sit on a broken seat provided, no proper aircon. I think the cost from Luang Prabang to VV was 100,000 kip; from VV to Vientiane 50,000 kip. We did some shopping around in VV to make sure we got on a proper VIP bus. All the agents were selling the same bus for the same price and all assured us it was VIP. Passengers were taken to a place outside town to wait for the bus by songthaow. When our old crock arrived all 50 of us couldn't quite believe it. What a scam ....only in Vang Vieng, huh.

#2 Posted: 2/7/2010 - 19:11

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Luang Prabang to Vang Vieng ... By NEILEIO on 29 Aug 2008 2 5285 1 Sep 2008
Night Bus from Vang Vieng to Luang Prabang ... By aik_yong2002 on 16 Jul 2012 3 5116 23 Jul 2012
Place between Vang Vieng and Luang Prabang ... By Lars on 11 Oct 2007 5 5206 17 Oct 2007
Luang Prabang to Vientiane- The truth about Vang Vieng ... By misstahlia on 7 Jun 2013 9 6291 10 Jun 2013
Transport - Vientiane / Vang Vieng / Luang Prabang ... By ruthmoore on 18 Nov 2007 5 13386 26 Aug 2010
Vang Vieng to Luang Prabang - Minivan Hire ... By dclayw on 23 Jul 2009 7 6625 24 Jul 2009
Hire a driver luang prabang to vang vieng ... By 21days on 17 Dec 2009 0 4937 17 Dec 2009
Landslide Delaying Bus Travel Vientiane/Vang Vieng - Luang Prabang ... By wanderingcat on 23 Aug 2011 3 3219 5 Sep 2011
Riverside Boutique Resort, Vang Vieng: #1 on TripAdvisor and first luxury hotel in Vang Vieng ... By svriverside on 16 Aug 2013 0 1308 16 Aug 2013
Louang Prabang to Phonsavan or Vang Vieng? ... By ChrisM48 on 2 Jan 2009 7 7694 11 May 2009