Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Konglor Caves

• petrarch1603

Joined Travelfish
    1st May, 2010

Has anybody gone here recently? Seems likes its a bit off the beaten path and takes several days to get to there and back.

#1 Posted: 9/7/2010 - 23:46

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Petrarch
    It's right on the beaten path - from north to south or south to north. It's probably not worth an excursion is that's the only reason you're coming up from Paxse or coming down from Vientiane - but I've heard it's really nice.

#2 Posted: 10/7/2010 - 15:43

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

It is nice. It takes several days to get there from Australia, but not if you are in Laos.

#3 Posted: 10/7/2010 - 16:20

• shockster

Joined Travelfish
    11th July, 2010
    Total reviews: 2

The valley leading to Konglor is spectacular and the boat trip through the cave is too. Wear the lifejackets - our boat collided with another and we had to rescue a concussed person from the water with minimal lights and 5km from either entrance. Take a good headtorch.

Do NOT stay at Mi Thuna in Ban Khoun Kham unless the mad owner has left. She clearly has a mental illness and someone will get hurt one day. Stayed there Dec 2008. There are much nicer people closer to the market/bus depot. Renting a motorbike will avoid having to stay in Khoun Kham prior to going to Konglor if you're short of time. Boating to Konglor is specky if a tad costly.

#4 Posted: 11/7/2010 - 12:18

• Barns

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location Laos

I went there last year and found it lovely. The main village with guesthouses etc was charming and the cave itself was fascinating although if the water's low then wear some good shoes because you sometimes have to get out and push the boat through and the stones are sharp!

We drove from Vientiane and it only took a few hours, can't remember exactly, but I think about 5 or 6 hours and the road was fine all the way.

I'm pretty sure there are several buses to Thakhek every day and you get off a bit before and then change to another bus which takes you to the village. But don't quote me on that!

#5 Posted: 11/7/2010 - 12:38

• stoneman

Joined Travelfish
    8th May, 2010
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 9

I intend to visit Konglor Cave next month coming from Vientiane. Lak Sao aircon bus departs 5am,6am,7am (4hrs to Na Hin). From my research, using local transport connections, a minimum of 2 nights is required. My itinerary is 5am bus to Na Hin, stay o'nite. Next day, songthaew (AM only) to Konglor Cave, return on same songthaew to Na Hin, stay o'nite. Next morning, 8am bus to Tha Khaek.

#6 Posted: 15/7/2010 - 20:29

• lonelytrott-
    er

Joined Travelfish
    17th May, 2010

Anybody on this Forum who has also visited the Palawan Islands in the Philippines and been to the Sabang Underground River in the Puerto Princesa Subterranean River National Park? Is the Konglor cave similar to this one?

#7 Posted: 5/8/2010 - 11:52

• drzoglaos

Joined Travelfish
    24th September, 2010

Nice. Thanks. Can u tell me for the bus back out of Na Hin, which bus should i get for Vientiene?

#8 Posted: 24/9/2010 - 20:54

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.