Flag of Laos

Laos forum

your ideal itineary

• walkingtrees

Joined Travelfish
    25th January, 2010

Hi Guys

So I'm still trying to hash out a rough itinerary for my Thailand/Laos trip (first time in SEA, first time aboard solo) for August 2-26, flying in and out of BKK. I plan on heading north from Bangkok, seeing Sukhothai (chose this over Ayutthaya), making my way to Chiang Mai, flying to Luang Prabang, and then getting back to Bangkok. Those 4 spots are as of right now my only musts.

I ask this: what would you do? Where would you go?

I'm a 28-year-old guy and want to experience a little of everything...treks, ruins, meeting other travelers but more importantly locals, long nights, early rises to see monks, wildlife, geography, food, whatever. I can do the party thing one day and be happy someplace remote the next.

Any suggestions on things to check out between my 4 "must" stops or logistically tips?

Thanks, love this site!

#1 Posted: 15/7/2010 - 00:17

• Advertisement

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

I think you are smart to limit your must sees to just a few spots like you have done. Those 3 1/2 weeks may seem like a long time now, but once you arrive they'll fly by. You'll be glad to have a few extra days to explore the places you've decided to visit.

In terms of logistics, I assume you'll need to get back to Bangkok for the return flight home, so from Luang Prabang I'd take the bus down to Vientiane (which is easily worth a few days on its own, depending on how much time you have to spend), and then cross back into Thailand at Nong Khai for the overnight sleeper train trip back to Bangkok. Those overnight sleeper trains tend to fill up ahead of time, so if you can, I'd recommend making that sleeper train reservation as soon as you arrive in Bangkok if you know you want to do that overnight train trip. Otherwise, there are plenty of buses to get you from Vientiane/Nong Khai back to BKK, and you can arrange those on the same day.

You could of course also fly from Luang Prabang to Vientiane or even all the way back to Bangkok if you wanted to save time and had the money to do it that way. You might also want to be sure to give yourself at least a full day in Bangkok at the end of your trip to do your shopping, grab a massage, and otherwise get ready for your return flight.

On a completely different topic, I'd also like to encourage you to please stop double-posting your questions on the message board. Even if the post covers more than one topic or country, just go ahead and post it once. You'll still get the responses you need that way. Thanks and have a good trip. Cheers.

#2 Posted: 15/7/2010 - 02:56

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

Agree with Exacto, and as always I'd suggest a couple of days in Vientiane.

#3 Posted: 15/7/2010 - 08:13

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.