Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

August Rt. 13 road conditions

Posted by walkingtrees on 30/7/2010 at 14:21

Seeing that August is Laos' wettest month and that transportation is already slow throughout the country...should I be concerned about busing the following route during this time?

Fly into LP > bus to Phonsavan > bus to Vang Vieng > bus to Vientiane

I'm allotting 10 days max for the above and figure I may need to scratch Phonsavan for more time in LP/Vientiane.

Should I plan a whole day's worth of travel time between each destination?

thanks!

#1 walkingtrees has been a member since 25/1/2010. Posts: 58

Posted by LaoNow on 30/7/2010 at 16:49

Hwy 13 between L. Prabang and Vang Vieng had a few small mudslides last week and our bus had a 2 hour delay to get thru the biggest one but we made it and if there aren't any unusual rainstorms coming I expect all will be clear. The normal travel time between LP & Phonsavanh and also between Phonsavanh and Vang Vieng is about 7 to 8 hours so these trips will consume most of a day. It's only 3.5 hours between Vang Vieng and Vientiane so you'd have half a day left. 10 days s/b enough to still include Phonsavanh and the Plain of Jars. Vang Vieng isn't great this time of year with the Song River high and muddy which makes for lousy tubing but good kayaking. The hiking and cycling paths are also a bit muddy there.

#2 LaoNow has been a member since 14/5/2010. Posts: 38

Posted by Captain_Bob on 1/8/2010 at 00:45

Here's the jars: http://www.iantaylor.org/0309xiengkhuang0020a.jpg Voila! With 10 days max and peak rainy season I'd skip Phonsavan and enjoy seeing more and commuting less. A few days in LP,VV,VT each and I'd break somewhere along the way like Phoukhoun, Kasi, Phonhong to take a brief respite from the otherwise heavy tourist trail.

http://www.ecotourismlaos.com/images/map/laos/laos_bg.jpg

#3 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,824

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.