Flag of Laos

Laos forum

August Rt. 13 road conditions

• walkingtrees

Joined Travelfish
    25th January, 2010

Seeing that August is Laos' wettest month and that transportation is already slow throughout the country...should I be concerned about busing the following route during this time?

Fly into LP > bus to Phonsavan > bus to Vang Vieng > bus to Vientiane

I'm allotting 10 days max for the above and figure I may need to scratch Phonsavan for more time in LP/Vientiane.

Should I plan a whole day's worth of travel time between each destination?

thanks!

#1 Posted: 30/7/2010 - 14:21

• Advertisement

• LaoNow

Joined Travelfish
    14th May, 2010

Hwy 13 between L. Prabang and Vang Vieng had a few small mudslides last week and our bus had a 2 hour delay to get thru the biggest one but we made it and if there aren't any unusual rainstorms coming I expect all will be clear. The normal travel time between LP & Phonsavanh and also between Phonsavanh and Vang Vieng is about 7 to 8 hours so these trips will consume most of a day. It's only 3.5 hours between Vang Vieng and Vientiane so you'd have half a day left. 10 days s/b enough to still include Phonsavanh and the Plain of Jars. Vang Vieng isn't great this time of year with the Song River high and muddy which makes for lousy tubing but good kayaking. The hiking and cycling paths are also a bit muddy there.

#2 Posted: 30/7/2010 - 16:49

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Here's the jars: http://www.iantaylor.org/0309xiengkhuang0020a.jpg Voila! With 10 days max and peak rainy season I'd skip Phonsavan and enjoy seeing more and commuting less. A few days in LP,VV,VT each and I'd break somewhere along the way like Phoukhoun, Kasi, Phonhong to take a brief respite from the otherwise heavy tourist trail.

http://www.ecotourismlaos.com/images/map/laos/laos_bg.jpg

#3 Posted: 1/8/2010 - 00:45

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Highway 6 road conditions ... By sdevlin on 28 Mar 2009 2 2168 29 Mar 2009
Road conditions DBP to sapa ... By zipi on 15 Sep 2009 1 1760 16 Sep 2009
NW Vietnam - Current Road Conditions? ... By koparsons on 26 Aug 2008 0 1934 26 Aug 2008
Road Conditions: Phnom Penh to Kratie? ... By dibrarian on 1 Nov 2013 4 897 3 Nov 2013
Direct bus from Hanoi to Vientiane : Road conditions? ... By Stellathediver on 11 Jun 2014 0 511 11 Jun 2014
Current conditions and tips for the SaPa to Laung Prabang road/river trip ... By marcusfrank on 30 Nov 2009 8 2786 5 Dec 2009