Flag of Laos

Laos forum

trip plan for a month in Laos ,Your opinions

• itayze

Joined Travelfish
    2nd August, 2010

Hi Folks !

I've got a general Idea on a trip to laos I'm gonna do in about two weeks and I would be really glad to hear your thoughts .

1)going over the Thai border to Huai Xai , Tak ing the bus to luang namtha,rest
    2)2 days trekk or the river trip .
    3)going north, 2 days in moung sing - cycling and getting to know the area.
    4)Returning to Luang NamTha, taking the bus to Udonxai and hoping to get on a bus to Luang Prabang or spending the rest of the day there and then going to Luang Prabang In the morning .
    5)2 days in Luang Prabang , Pak Ou Caves , Tak Kuang Si and doing the walking trip Lonley Plant Recommended.
    6) Going To VV ,spending 4 nights there, tubing , the caves etc
    7) Taking The Bus To vientiane at noon, hoping to get in time to regiser to the Vip night bus to pakse .
    8) Approximately 7 nights in pakse area , doing the scooter six days ride
    9) Going South for the 4,000 Islands area and spending about a week there
    10) Going back to pakse And crossing the border to Thai .

A side questoin , afther the 4,000 Islands part , do you think two weeks in Thai Islands will be too much "Slacking" ?
    (Kanchanaburi then Bangkok is the end of my trip )

It's been a long post , And I Hope To hear your opinion on any matter !

#1 Posted: 2/8/2010 - 19:35

• Advertisement

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

4 days in Vang Vieng is far too much. 2 is enough. No days in Vientiane is far too little.

#2 Posted: 3/8/2010 - 08:31

• itayze

Joined Travelfish
    2nd August, 2010

If I get really bored in VV I could easily go up to vientiane , Probably it will ebe some combination ,3 nights at VV and one day there .

How Should I divide the week in the 4,000 islands area ? (which Islands)

#3 Posted: 3/8/2010 - 16:21

• svendj

Joined Travelfish
    30th April, 2010
    Location Belgium
    Places visited:
    At least 32

haha still love it when people say that 4 nights in VV is too much! there is really a lot to see around VV as wel and you can easily spend a week there. Of course people do get tired of getting wasted tubing all day but after 2 weeks you'll get the hang of it. The fun part about staying longer is that you'll meet hundreds of different people you sometimes just meet again after 4 months.

for 4000 islands, I think a week is a little bit too much. There are some things do to like cycling around the islands, going to waterfalls, ... but a week might be too much. I was tired of it after 4 days.

You do should visit Vientiane as it is a beautiful city (at least to be the capital of Laos as it's not comparable to any other capital).

The motorbike trip in Pakse is really nice (don't do a booked trip, but just rent a bike, get a map and figure it out). It's a lot of fun and you'll be able to go to Champasak and back in about a day.

Indeed I'd try to skip Oudomxay as fast as possible, there ain't much to do and most of the time is just a stopover to head to China (or back down to Luang Prabang like you will do).

Enjoy your trip but you will!

#4 Posted: 4/8/2010 - 15:34

• itayze

Joined Travelfish
    2nd August, 2010

Okay , what about 4 days in 4,000 Islands and moving to cambodia for 3-4 days ? is it worth the hassle ( i've heard that moving from Laos to Cambodia can be quite a shock people wisw ) .
    Also is there a realtivly short way of returning to bangkok in that path ?
    (I wish there was an easy way to get to that islands\phoket but thats more unlikely )

#5 Posted: 5/8/2010 - 16:23

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

"Of course people do get tired of getting wasted tubing all day but after 2 weeks you'll get the hang of it"
    Not everyone enjoys behaving like a boor.

#6 Posted: 5/8/2010 - 16:39

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

As I have said many times here, it all starts with your interests and what your idea of a good time is. As you can see from above, for Rufus, getting drunk and folicking in the water isn't a great time. He's not interested. For Itayze, it is a great time and he could spend plenty of time doing it. We aren't all the same, and we don't all share the same interests. So if you start with the kinds of things you like and want to do - what's your focus, boy that helps. Show this plan to a sex tourist and he'll be saying "This looks boring". Show it to a cultural tourist and they'll be saying "looks like a plan". Show it to a beach tourist and they'll be saying "Why are you going to Laos?" So, you have to start with desired intent.

#7 Posted: 5/8/2010 - 16:39

• itayze

Joined Travelfish
    2nd August, 2010

That's My first serious trip , I'm 22 , so I don't know exactly what I want .
    I want to enjoy the scenery , see beautifull nature and waterfalls .
    to walk around in a completly diffrent place , be far away from where I am in the day to day life .
    I also want some attraction , thats why I'm doing the rafting and flight of the gibson in thialand and tubing in VV .
    I see as VV as a bit a more "young" part of the trip after the north parts of thai and Laos .
    You could say I want it all :-) .

I'm not looking for temples alone , I will see them , appercaite the beauty , complexty maybe a bit of the spirtuallty that stuck with them , but it's not an area I will explore deeply .

So Nature , Attraction (ain't much in the Laos Part ) , Relaxtion and not an expansive trip .

It was a diffcult question , I tried to answer it as much as I could :) .

#8 Posted: 5/8/2010 - 16:49

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Then I'd say your plan looks fine. Remember, it ain't caste in stone, so if you get somewhere and say to yourself "Man, this is great" you can stay a bit longer. If you get somewhere and say "Man, this blows" then you can hop on the bus and move on. Since it appears you are lone wolfing it, you don't have to be concerned about someone elses timeline. You can do what you want. So no worries, I'm sure you'll have a good time.

As for money - women and booze, those are the two things that each budget. You forego those and it will be pretty cheap.

#9 Posted: 6/8/2010 - 11:44

• itayze

Joined Travelfish
    2nd August, 2010

Thanks MadMac ,
    I'm more confident about the plan now thouh as you said it will probably look quite diffrent in the end :) .

#10 Posted: 6/8/2010 - 14:45

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
1 month trip to Thailand/Laos/Vietnam/Cambodia ... By Nixxypie on 27 Apr 2011 7 9586 28 Apr 2011
Two month trip through Vietnam, Laos, and Cambodia. Any advice? ... By o_kaija on 2 May 2010 3 3120 4 May 2010
Opinions and suggestions needed - 4wk trip ... By Sparts on 5 Jun 2009 14 3173 3 Jul 2009
Advise on 5 month SEA plan ... By ec2011 on 14 Oct 2012 3 1304 27 Oct 2012
my 3 month trip/motorbike advice vietnam, laos cambodia ... By petethered on 17 Mar 2014 1 388 17 Mar 2014
1 month Thailand - include side trip? Laos or Cambodia? ... By noakess on 15 Oct 2010 10 3200 21 Oct 2010