Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Visiting Caves in Van Vieng / Nong Kiaou

Posted by lonelytrotter on 4/8/2010 at 15:28

Hello, We (Myself, My wife and 6 year old daughter) will be travelling to Laos in October this year. We wanted to see some of the caves either in Van Vieng or Nong Kiaou. My question is would visiting these caves require swimming in the river either to reach them or to have a look inside. We would like to avoid caves where swimming is involved as our daughter will be with us and the currents could be strong as we are going just after the rains. Can you suggest caves where we can walk in and have a look around without having to swim.
I would like to avoid Van Vieng in favour of Nong Kiaou as far as possible as we would not be tubing anyway and I am told the scenery is the same in both the places. Is that correct ??

Thanks for your responses

#1 lonelytrotter has been a member since 17/5/2010. Posts: 2

Posted by somtam2000 on 5/8/2010 at 05:25 admin

The scenery is more spectacular in Vang Vieng , but Nong Kiaow isn't too shabby at all. No problems re crossing water. For one of the smaller caves in Nong Kiaow you need to cross a very small stream, but that is it and in Vang Vieng there's bridges where required for the main caves.

I was in Nong Kiaow earlier this year and really enjoyed it -- should be especially enjoyable with a six-year-old.

Cheers

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,436
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.