Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Visiting Caves in Van Vieng / Nong Kiaou

• lonelytrott-
    er

Joined Travelfish
    17th May, 2010

Hello, We (Myself, My wife and 6 year old daughter) will be travelling to Laos in October this year. We wanted to see some of the caves either in Van Vieng or Nong Kiaou. My question is would visiting these caves require swimming in the river either to reach them or to have a look inside. We would like to avoid caves where swimming is involved as our daughter will be with us and the currents could be strong as we are going just after the rains. Can you suggest caves where we can walk in and have a look around without having to swim.
    I would like to avoid Van Vieng in favour of Nong Kiaou as far as possible as we would not be tubing anyway and I am told the scenery is the same in both the places. Is that correct ??

Thanks for your responses

#1 Posted: 4/8/2010 - 15:28

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

The scenery is more spectacular in Vang Vieng , but Nong Kiaow isn't too shabby at all. No problems re crossing water. For one of the smaller caves in Nong Kiaow you need to cross a very small stream, but that is it and in Vang Vieng there's bridges where required for the main caves.

I was in Nong Kiaow earlier this year and really enjoyed it -- should be especially enjoyable with a six-year-old.

Cheers

#2 Posted: 5/8/2010 - 05:25

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Vieng Xai Caves - Adventurers wanted ... By DanandElise on 12 Jul 2011 0 1760 12 Jul 2011
Nong Khiaw vs Vang Vieng ... By CaptainScott on 22 Mar 2013 4 1698 26 Mar 2013
Nong Khiaw to Luang Prabang via Vieng Kham and Pak Xeng ... By eljefe on 19 Jan 2011 4 3883 11 Mar 2013
Vang Vieng, Vientiane and Nong Khai - July 2006 Trip Report ... By exacto on 8 Sep 2006 4 5009 23 Nov 2006