Flag of Laos

Laos forum

a month in Laos - Itinerary and advice

• lakyw

Joined Travelfish
    5th August, 2010

Hi everyone.
    My GF and I will be in Laos in September. It'll be my 1st time abroad since the age of 12, and I'm really excited about the whole trip. 1st and foremost I must say that TravelFish has been a great aid with planning on the whole trip. But I've still got some questions. We're looking for the mix of trekking, nature and R&R on our trip. Which means we don't want to be stressed about catching the next bus, seeing every beautiful Wat, missing this or that sight recommended on LP or whichever travel guide, but we still want to see the main natural attractions throughout Laos. In that respect, how would you rate Si Pahn Don? We've heard recommendations from many people about the place.

2nd... This is somewhat of a "rate my itinerary" thing... We've planned 2 Itineraries - 1 including Si Pahn Don but is a bit stressed, and the other is more relaxed. We arrive to Bangkok at early morning of the 5th of September, and we need to be back to Bangkok by the end of the day of the 5th of October. So... What do you think about the following Itineraries? (Also, suggestions for things to do would be appreciated)

All around North -
    Bangkok - shopping and information (1-2 days)
    Bangkok to Nong Khai (train)

Nong Khai to Vientiane (border crossing)
    Vientiane - 1-2 days

Vientiane to Viang Vieng
    Viang Vieng - R&R. Some hiking/tubing 2-4 days

Viang Vieng to Luag Prabang
    Luang Prabang - Has anyone done an Elephent ride? 2-5 days.

Luag Prabang to Nong Khiaw
    Nong Khiaw and Muang Ngoi Neua - taking a trek to local villages. 4-6 days

Muang Ngoi Neua to Udomxai
    Udomxai to Luang Nam Tha
    Luang Nam Tha - Trekking, visiting local villages. 4-6 days

Luang Nam Tha to Huayxay
    Huayxay - Gibbon experience. 1-4 days

Huayxay to Luang Prabang (bus) 2 days

Luang Prabang to Vientiane (bus) (2 days)

Vientiane back to Bangkok (1-2 days)

North to South
    Bangkok - shopping and information. 1-2 days
    Bangkok to Chiang Mai (train)
    Chiang Mai to Chiang Khong (bus or bus through Chiang Rai - 1 day)
    Chiang Khong to Huayxay (border crossing)
    Huayxay - gibbon experience. 1-4 days.

Huayxay to Luang Nam Tha
    Luang Nam Tha - Having fun around Luang Nam Tha. Trekking/visiting local villages (3-5 days).

Luang Nam Tha through Udomxai to Nong Khiaw
    Nong Khiaw and Muang Ngoi Neua - Trekking. 3-4 days

Nong Khiaw to Luang Prabang
    Luang Prabang - 2-4 days

Luang Prabang to Viang Vieng
    Viang Vieng - 2-3 days

Viang Vieng to Vientiane
    Vientiane - 1-2 days

Vientiane to Pakse (overnight bus)
    Pakse - Trekking, sightseeing and waterfalls. 1-3 days.

Pakse to Si Pahn Don
    Si Pahn Don- 1-3 days

Si Pahn Don to Pakse
    Pakse to Chong Mek (border crossing)
    Chong Mek to Ubon Ratchathani (bus)
    Ubon Ratchathani to Bangkok (train)
    1-2 days.

#1 Posted: 5/8/2010 - 20:00

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Itinerary 1 Month - Backpacking Through Thailand Laos Cambodia and Vietnam... Advice Needed :) ... By reneejordan on 5 Nov 2010 8 19803 6 Mar 2011
1 month in SEA- Itinerary advice please! :) ... By Karlap on 8 Oct 2009 6 3768 14 Oct 2009
5 Month SEA General Itinerary Advice ... By TravelMoo on 3 Jul 2014 7 830 9 Jul 2014
Seeking Advice: 6 month itinerary ... By Msalkinder on 13 Jun 2012 4 3261 7 Aug 2012
2 Month Travel itinerary - Advice ... By ljp on 14 Jul 2014 3 623 20 Jul 2014
Leaving in an month, budget, itinerary nerves/worries. Advice appreciated ... By RTWnewbie on 9 Aug 2012 4 1969 10 Aug 2012
one month itinerary in Laos ... By stevewilkes on 10 Jan 2012 5 2139 11 Jan 2012
Two month trip through Vietnam, Laos, and Cambodia. Any advice? ... By o_kaija on 2 May 2010 3 3217 4 May 2010
my 3 month trip/motorbike advice vietnam, laos cambodia ... By petethered on 17 Mar 2014 1 843 17 Mar 2014
One month itinerary - Thailand/Laos/Cambodia - Help Please ... By naaz on 7 Aug 2009 12 6462 10 Aug 2009