Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Cambodia-Laos - where to cross over

• yukata

Joined Travelfish
    2nd June, 2010

Hey all,

Currently in Cambodia (Siem Reap) for the week and planning to head to Laos for about 4 weeks after I am done here. I am wondering what people recommend in terms of getting between the two countries. I originally thought of crossing at the land border, but I don't have my visa and was unclear as to if I could get it there. Also, I am more interested in covering the north of the country first in case the 4 weeks goes quickly (as it always does with bus travel and when you are having a good time). So here are my main q's:

1) Where should I cross into Laos: Cambodia vs Thailand? Land borders vs airports?

2) What is a good arrival destination? One of the major cities like LP or VT?

3) I will fly out of Bangkok at the end of my travels. What is the best way to get back into Thailand? I was thinking about doing Chiang Mai but again not sure for time so contemplating the idea of flying straight there or crossing at a land border and taking the bus down...

Many thanks and happy travels!

#1 Posted: 13/8/2010 - 16:58

• Advertisement

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

I don't have my visa and was unclear as to if I could get it there
    Yes you can. It's been available since around Feb this year. The border area is a no-mans-land so go from Stung Treng town and aim for the 4000 islands or Pakse from there.

#2 Posted: 13/8/2010 - 18:21

• svendj

Joined Travelfish
    30th April, 2010
    Location Belgium
    Places visited:
    At least 32

indeed that's the border crossing captain_bob (Hey I know you from the lonely planet forum :) ).
    If you do think about saving some time if you don't want to go to 4000 islands and pakse, just fly from Siem Reap or Phnom Penh to Luang Prabang and do the north, probably will save you a weeks time.

#3 Posted: 25/8/2010 - 14:29

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.