Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Cambodia-Laos - where to cross over

Posted by yukata on 13/8/2010 at 16:58

Hey all,

Currently in Cambodia (Siem Reap) for the week and planning to head to Laos for about 4 weeks after I am done here. I am wondering what people recommend in terms of getting between the two countries. I originally thought of crossing at the land border, but I don't have my visa and was unclear as to if I could get it there. Also, I am more interested in covering the north of the country first in case the 4 weeks goes quickly (as it always does with bus travel and when you are having a good time). So here are my main q's:

1) Where should I cross into Laos: Cambodia vs Thailand? Land borders vs airports?

2) What is a good arrival destination? One of the major cities like LP or VT?

3) I will fly out of Bangkok at the end of my travels. What is the best way to get back into Thailand? I was thinking about doing Chiang Mai but again not sure for time so contemplating the idea of flying straight there or crossing at a land border and taking the bus down...

Many thanks and happy travels!

#1 yukata has been a member since 2/6/2010. Posts: 8

Posted by Captain_Bob on 13/8/2010 at 18:21

I don't have my visa and was unclear as to if I could get it there
Yes you can. It's been available since around Feb this year. The border area is a no-mans-land so go from Stung Treng town and aim for the 4000 islands or Pakse from there.

#2 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,819

Posted by svendj on 25/8/2010 at 14:29

indeed that's the border crossing captain_bob (Hey I know you from the lonely planet forum :) ).
If you do think about saving some time if you don't want to go to 4000 islands and pakse, just fly from Siem Reap or Phnom Penh to Luang Prabang and do the north, probably will save you a weeks time.

#3 svendj has been a member since 30/4/2010. Location: Belgium. Posts: 196
 Where has svendj been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.