Flag of Laos

Laos forum

travel books

• ptgirl

Joined Travelfish
    13th November, 2006

Hi, i am planning a trip to Laos for Feb/March 2007. I have always been impartial to Lonely planet and Rough Guides for travel. However i notice that up to date editions of both are limited to 2005 for lonely planet and i think 2002 for RG. However i noticed that Footprint has an edition in 2006. Has anyone used Footprint? I have never used it before. Or is the latest version of Laos/lonelyplanet pretty accurate for the current time? Thanks in advance!

#1 Posted: 13/11/2006 - 00:42

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi ptgirl,

Welcome to Travelfish!

LP ar researching their new LP at the moment, but it will be another 9 months at least (closer to a year), before the book is released.

I'm not sure about Rough Guide's update schedule, but their existing book, particularly the background information is excellent.

The new Footprint is very very good. I've not used them much but when I picked up their new Laos book I found it very impressive -- and I'm not saying that because they gave us a plug! Certainly worth a try.

#2 Posted: 13/11/2006 - 05:54

• longleat

Joined Travelfish
    12th October, 2006

I believe the new Rough Guide for Laos will be out Feb. 2007.

#3 Posted: 13/11/2006 - 07:28

• ptgirl

Joined Travelfish
    13th November, 2006

Hi, thanks very much for your posts! Just wondering how easy it would be to pick up say the RG in February if i were travelling in Cambodia/vietnam around that time.

#4 Posted: 13/11/2006 - 10:25

• pilgrim

Joined Travelfish
    6th August, 2006

The new Rough guides for Lao and Thailand are due out this month. The travel bookstore I just checked with is hoping to have them in the next week or two...
    I just bought a Footprints Guide for Cambodia...it looks pretty good and I have heard great feedback about Footprints. I am looking forward to checking it out on the road in the next couple of months.

#5 Posted: 13/11/2006 - 11:39

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

I used the Footprint Guide for Laos on my last two trips there too and it was very good. This last summer when we were in Thailand we met up with one of the researchers from Let's Go, the guidebooks out of Harvard University in the states. She was a lot of fun and quite insightful, so Let's Go might be worth a look too.

The fun of the lesser-used guide books is that you aren't necessarily getting the same recommendations for the same places to stay and eat at the more popular destinations. Sometimes that makes you feel like you've discovered something fun yourself, even if it did come from the book.

#6 Posted: 13/11/2006 - 11:46

• ptgirl

Joined Travelfish
    13th November, 2006

Thanks again for the great info.! Yes I also agree that it is nice to use some of the guide books that are used a bit less frequently. I think I may give Footprint a try for Laos. In Canada the RG for Laos does not come out until Feb. next year.

#7 Posted: 13/11/2006 - 12:00

• ptgirl

Joined Travelfish
    13th November, 2006

Thanks again for the great info.! Yes I also agree that it is nice to use some of the guide books that are used a bit less frequently. I think I may give Footprint a try for Laos. In Canada the RG for Laos does not come out until Feb. next year.

#8 Posted: 13/11/2006 - 12:01

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.