Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Smokey Laos

• mikenam

Joined Travelfish
    7th August, 2010
    Location United Kingdom

Im travelling aroung laos in March and I hear its as smokey as a dragons arse with all the burning of crops and what not.
    I am a wee bit gutted about this as my friend who is there now has fallen completly in love with the place. Im wondering how bad is this smoke on a scale of bearable to non.

Im hoping to travel around vientiene and vang vieng mabye do a bit of bikeing...

#1 Posted: 20/8/2010 - 21:13

• Advertisement

• somsai

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2006
    Location United States

For me it's much less bothersome than the pollution in many Asian cities year round. Nice sunsets.

#2 Posted: 21/8/2010 - 01:01

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Exactly how smokey is a dragon's ass? Worse than Moscow during a forest fire?

#3 Posted: 21/8/2010 - 02:08

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Almost guaranteed haze mid-Feb to mid-April, as in not being able to distinguish hilltops just a few km away, but it also fluctuates a fair bit. On a particular day the folks may decide to light up an entire mountain or hillside and then it can be stifling, especially combined with the peak hot season. But head over to the next valley or wait for a nice breeze and it can clear out again. Sometimes you'll be sitting outdoors having a meal and little flurries of ash come wafting down or if you sleep up high where it can hit dewpoint at night the burnt smell becomes prevalent. It can also interfere (or in some cases assist with) landscape photography but hey those red ball sunsets that start at 3pm are pretty. Certainly not enough of an issue to re-schedule though. Have done several March-April Laos trips and still enjoy.

Burnt mountain http://www.flickr.com/photos/captain-bob/3820193228/sizes/l
    Hazy view http://www.flickr.com/photos/captain-bob/3819393529/sizes/l
    Groovy sunset http://www.flickr.com/photos/captain-bob/3819380241/sizes/l

#4 Posted: 21/8/2010 - 20:11

• mikenam

Joined Travelfish
    7th August, 2010
    Location United Kingdom

Captain Bob your a star! I couldnt have asked for a better answer, and those photos are great. Thank you!!!

#5 Posted: 22/8/2010 - 21:15

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Ya, nice photos Captain.

#6 Posted: 22/8/2010 - 22:53

• agarlao

Joined Travelfish
    13th June, 2008

I've lived near Vientiane for 20 years and I can't say it's ever bothered me.

Mind you, I'm a smoker myself!

#7 Posted: 24/8/2010 - 08:44

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.