Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Hotel wi-fi in Laos?

Posted by rawjer on 22/8/2010 at 11:03

I've spent the last 7 months traveling in Vietnam, Cambodia, and now in Bangkok, while working using my laptop. In about a month I'll be heading to Laos for the first time, before re-entering Thailand.

I found free hotel wifi was extremely easy to find in Vietnam, and speeds weren't bad. In Cambodia it was slower, but easy to find. What's the situation these days in Laos? I'm only planning on staying in Vientiane, Vang Vieng, and Luang Prabang, and my ability to get decent wifi at hotels will determine how long I'll stay.

Also, any suggestions for cheap hotels in any of those cities that have wifi? Thanks.

#1 rawjer has been a member since 20/1/2010. Posts: 104
 Website   Twitter 

Posted by shaydan_01 on 22/8/2010 at 11:18

We have so far been to Luang Prabang, Vang Vieng and Vientiane and have stayed in cheaper accommodation (80,000 KIP max) none of which had wifi in the room (one had in the lobby). We are now staying in a more expensive hotel ($20US a night) in Vientiane and have fast wifi in the room. So if you are on a tight budget you probably won't get it, spend a bit more and you will (although whether it is fast or not is a gamble).

We are staying at the Benacam Guesthouse in Vientiane, fast wifi, breakfast, beautiful room.

#2 shaydan_01 has been a member since 16/11/2009. Location: Australia. Posts: 80

Posted by rawjer on 23/8/2010 at 09:56

Thanks, shaydan_01. It's just good to know that it exists at all.

In Vietnam I was finding that pretty much every $10/night place had it, and if I have to pay closer to $20/night to get it I can do that. I'm also relieved to hear that decent speeds are possible. I stayed at 3 different hotels in Cambodia and the speeds were equally sluggish in all of them.

If anyone else has any suggestions of budget hotels with decent wifi in these cities I'd love to hear them. It's actually the only critical feature for me.

#3 rawjer has been a member since 20/1/2010. Posts: 104
 Website   Twitter 

Posted by Rufus on 23/8/2010 at 10:37

Souphaphone guest house has wifi. Some cafes have free wifi eg Joma.

#4 Rufus has been a member since 22/4/2007. Location: Laos. Posts: 973

Posted by agarlao on 24/8/2010 at 08:39

In Vientiane, it's mostly the more expensive hotels that have wi-fi. However, there are many cheap hotels around the city centre (NamPhou area) and all are close to the many internet cafes where you can use your laptop. Some cafes in that area(like Joma) are wi-fi hotspots.

#5 agarlao has been a member since 13/6/2008. Posts: 30

Posted by agarlao on 24/8/2010 at 08:40

In Vientiane, it's mostly the more expensive hotels that have wi-fi. However, there are many cheap hotels around the city centre (NamPhou area) and all are close to the many internet cafes where you can use your laptop. Some cafes in that area(like Joma) are wi-fi hotspots.

#6 agarlao has been a member since 13/6/2008. Posts: 30

#7 agarlao has been a member since 13/6/2008. Posts: 30

#8 agarlao has been a member since 13/6/2008. Posts: 30

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.