Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Hotel wi-fi in Laos?

• rawjer

Joined Travelfish
    20th January, 2010
    Total reviews: 9

I've spent the last 7 months traveling in Vietnam, Cambodia, and now in Bangkok, while working using my laptop. In about a month I'll be heading to Laos for the first time, before re-entering Thailand.

I found free hotel wifi was extremely easy to find in Vietnam, and speeds weren't bad. In Cambodia it was slower, but easy to find. What's the situation these days in Laos? I'm only planning on staying in Vientiane, Vang Vieng, and Luang Prabang, and my ability to get decent wifi at hotels will determine how long I'll stay.

Also, any suggestions for cheap hotels in any of those cities that have wifi? Thanks.

#1 Posted: 22/8/2010 - 11:03

• Advertisement

• shaydan_01

Joined Travelfish
    16th November, 2009
    Location Australia

We have so far been to Luang Prabang, Vang Vieng and Vientiane and have stayed in cheaper accommodation (80,000 KIP max) none of which had wifi in the room (one had in the lobby). We are now staying in a more expensive hotel ($20US a night) in Vientiane and have fast wifi in the room. So if you are on a tight budget you probably won't get it, spend a bit more and you will (although whether it is fast or not is a gamble).

We are staying at the Benacam Guesthouse in Vientiane, fast wifi, breakfast, beautiful room.

#2 Posted: 22/8/2010 - 11:18

• rawjer

Joined Travelfish
    20th January, 2010
    Total reviews: 9

Thanks, shaydan_01. It's just good to know that it exists at all.

In Vietnam I was finding that pretty much every $10/night place had it, and if I have to pay closer to $20/night to get it I can do that. I'm also relieved to hear that decent speeds are possible. I stayed at 3 different hotels in Cambodia and the speeds were equally sluggish in all of them.

If anyone else has any suggestions of budget hotels with decent wifi in these cities I'd love to hear them. It's actually the only critical feature for me.

#3 Posted: 23/8/2010 - 09:56

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

Souphaphone guest house has wifi. Some cafes have free wifi eg Joma.

#4 Posted: 23/8/2010 - 10:37

• agarlao

Joined Travelfish
    13th June, 2008

In Vientiane, it's mostly the more expensive hotels that have wi-fi. However, there are many cheap hotels around the city centre (NamPhou area) and all are close to the many internet cafes where you can use your laptop. Some cafes in that area(like Joma) are wi-fi hotspots.

#5 Posted: 24/8/2010 - 08:39

• agarlao

Joined Travelfish
    13th June, 2008

In Vientiane, it's mostly the more expensive hotels that have wi-fi. However, there are many cheap hotels around the city centre (NamPhou area) and all are close to the many internet cafes where you can use your laptop. Some cafes in that area(like Joma) are wi-fi hotspots.

#6 Posted: 24/8/2010 - 08:40

• agarlao

Joined Travelfish
    13th June, 2008

#7 Posted: 24/8/2010 - 08:40

• agarlao

Joined Travelfish
    13th June, 2008

#8 Posted: 24/8/2010 - 08:40

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.