Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Vientiane > Vinh > Ho Chi Minh (transportation mode advice)

• mukapecah8

Joined Travelfish
    28th December, 2006

Greetings,

This coming December, I am going for backpack through out Chiang Mai>Luang Prabang> Vinh >Ho Chi Minh..

Ok, let me get straight to the point.. I've been browsing through the net looking for info & couldn't find satisfying answers, most virtually are shared 'from Vientiane > to Hanoi'

I am planning to leave Vientiane for Vinh (by bus), & then from Vinh heading to Ho Chi Minh (by train).

My questions;
    1) is there a DIRECT bus from Vientiane to Vinh and it is can be done in DAY trip and perhaps reaching Vinh by afternoon?;
    2) It is possible right after reach Vinh then straight away take a NIGHT train to Ho Chi Minh?

I am settling up to take a train right after reaching Vinh & get a sleeper coach to south; instead of staying one night there.

Your feedback is a big assistance for me!

#1 Posted: 25/8/2010 - 00:39

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

1) There is a daily bus from Vientiane to Vinh and Thanh Hoa but it leaves Vientiane at 19:00. I'm not sure how long it takes, but it's an overnight bus. I'm not aware of a day service.

2) Simple answer is I'm not sure. The cross border buses are notorious for delays and breakdowns, I wouldn't count on any smooth and close transitions.

Lastly, another option would be to get the bus from Vientiane to Hue via Savannakhet - Hue certainly more comfortable than Vinh for an overnighter if you get stuck there!

#2 Posted: 25/8/2010 - 08:39

• mukapecah8

Joined Travelfish
    28th December, 2006

OH! .Thank you somtam2000.

By the way, the bus ride from Vientiane to Hue normally would take how long? One day?
    & it is on day service or night service, or both?

I'll try to get myself heading south, as for the last two year I had managed linger around northern Vietnam already =].

#3 Posted: 25/8/2010 - 17:13

• mukapecah8

Joined Travelfish
    28th December, 2006

Oh yeah.. how long it will take for a train ride from Vinh or Hue to Ho Chi Minh?

#4 Posted: 25/8/2010 - 17:31

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Vientiane to Vinh Bus Advice ... By book_reader1 on 5 Apr 2012 3 3901 7 Apr 2012
vinh to vientiane ... By elsuave on 8 Mar 2014 1 461 19 Mar 2014
From Vientiane to Lak Xao to Vinh to Hanoi ... By dispoiler on 11 Jan 2010 0 2778 11 Jan 2010
Transportation from Ho Chi Minh to Can Tho ... By LeslieJ on 7 Jan 2010 5 14977 24 May 2010
Vinh Moc tunnel tour price advice please ... By JaTo on 2 Jan 2008 1 2495 2 Jan 2008