Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Vang Vieng accommodation

• amz155

Joined Travelfish
    30th August, 2006

Hello,
    Can anyone recommend a place to stay in VV stay is "just outside" of town. I've been reading that the town is a bit of a backpacker ghetto and that staying just outside of town is a bit quieter. Where would this be-north or south? Any suggestions in the $20 or under range?
    thanks!

#1 Posted: 14/11/2006 - 03:07

• Advertisement

• LancasterLad

Joined Travelfish
    13th September, 2006

Hi amz155

We've just left V V. We stayed just off Pizza Street, and never had any bother with noise. Our G/H was called Dok Khoen1 and is opposite the Luang Prabang bakery, about a 5 minute walk from where the VIP bus drops you off. We had a big clean room with bathroom, a/c and fan. It cost $8 a night, and we never saw a single insect in the room in 4 days.

#2 Posted: 15/11/2006 - 15:01

• Manticore

Joined Travelfish
    9th November, 2006
    Total reviews: 3

Ive heard good things about May Lyn although I never stayed there. It was a recomendation from a couple I met in Huay Xai. You can find a review of it on this site.

#3 Posted: 4/12/2006 - 20:38

• LancasterLad

Joined Travelfish
    13th September, 2006

I phoned MayLyn from Vientiane 3 weeks ago to try and book a few nights there. I spoke to the bloke who runs it and he was still coming down to planet earth! All he seemed interested in was whether I came from Birmingham! Anyway he basically couldn't guarantee any accom, and said we should just turn up and take a chance. In the event we stayed somewhere else.

.....but we did make the effort to visit MayLyn for lunch one day. It is a little out of town, and over the only road (toll) bridge in the area. It's walkable, so long as you know where you're going, and you're prepared to be disappointed in case the place is full.

MayLyn itself is an absolutely gorgeous place. We only stayed for lunch and a couple of beers. The food was really nice. We met and had a good chin-wag with the owner. You'll either like him or loathe him. I'm an ex-serviceman, and he was right up my street.

I'd thoroughtly recommend the MayLyn, but the owner doesn't take advance reservations, on account he has in the past been regularly let down by people not showing up.

Hope that helps a bet!

#4 Posted: 5/12/2006 - 19:20

• zeez

Joined Travelfish
    14th November, 2006

let me recommend you another one that is near to Maylyn meaning it is away from the maddening crowd over the other side of the river. You need to cross the bridge to get to them.

Molina has 6 bungalows room on slits. They are only about 1 year old so all the 6 Laos traditional wooden bungalows are pretty new. rates is US$5 when i was there 2 weeks back. The rooms are big 4m by 4m, big by VV standard.

I enjoyed lying on the hammock outside the room to watch the sunset. I stayed a total of 3 nights there and would say it it best accomd i had in Laos.

The owner is Pls contact Mr Phet at 856 020 2005234 if you need to make a reservation. Mr Phet speak French, English, Vietnamese, Thai and of course Laos.

#5 Posted: 8/1/2007 - 13:33

• mrnicky

Joined Travelfish
    10th October, 2006

deleted

If you're affiliated with the guesthouse you're plugging, please make that clear in the post -- otherwise your adverts are not welcome on Travelfish.

#6 Posted: 13/1/2007 - 23:48

• mrnicky

Joined Travelfish
    10th October, 2006

Hi

I work at Babylon Guest House, www.babylonvangvieng.com and lots of peopel enjoy there stay there. You could also look at www.pansplace.net people like that or try www.vangvieng.org for some genral information on there links page.

Hi this isnt an advert just some genral information for you.

Try putting guest house vang vieng in to google for a whole range of places to stay.

#7 Posted: 14/1/2007 - 20:24

• mrnicky

Joined Travelfish
    10th October, 2006

Oh and Zeez is the owner of that bungalow site. ;-)

#8 Posted: 14/1/2007 - 20:28

• zeez

Joined Travelfish
    14th November, 2006

ha i wish i am but i am not. Neither do I work there. I am back in Singapore after a trip to Laos. Just giving a recommendation based on my experiences.

#9 Posted: 14/1/2007 - 20:50

• mrnicky

Joined Travelfish
    10th October, 2006

not what your IP says

#10 Posted: 14/1/2007 - 22:17

• Advertisement

• LancasterLad

Joined Travelfish
    13th September, 2006

Just a couple of lines on the Babylon. We never stayed there as we were reasonably content with the place we'd already booked into. But we did have a look round the Babylon. It is new, was absolutely spotless, and although on Pizza Street at the south end it is far enough away from the action to be described as quiet. The price of a room is also a steal. Well recommended.

#11 Posted: 16/1/2007 - 17:14

• longleat

Joined Travelfish
    12th October, 2006

I am trying to decide between Bungalows Riverside, just outside the north end of town and Xayoh in town but along the river. Generally, Xayoh is much more expensive. But we are three peope and so have to get two bungalows instead of one at Bungalows Riverside. They also don't include breakfast so that is an extra cost. At Xayoh we can all stay in one bungalow and it includes breadfast. Still Xayoh is a few dollars more. So help please! Which place is better for the location and general all around feeling? Your thoughts, please! Thank you!

#12 Posted: 17/1/2007 - 21:32

• mosquitofeed

Joined Travelfish
    7th February, 2007

Stay by the river somewhere if you can, the views are breathtaking, speend a few nights here if you can and take yourself over the pay-per-cross bridge with the little bar on the other side, head out between the cliffs for some beautiful DIY easy treks. The backpacker central label is a bit exagerated, two places play friends and ths simpsons all day but if you don't like those shows just avoid them. Should get somewhere really nice for 20US a night. Stayed in many places in Laos and there hygiene standards are preety good.

#13 Posted: 7/2/2007 - 04:16

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Vang Vieng accommodation owned by a New Zealander search ... By LissB on 9 Feb 2013 15 1403 4 Mar 2013
Riverside Boutique Resort, Vang Vieng: #1 on TripAdvisor and first luxury hotel in Vang Vieng ... By svriverside on 16 Aug 2013 0 1085 16 Aug 2013
Vang Vieng - New hotel - Villa Vang Vieng Riverside ... By charlass on 6 Jan 2011 0 4368 6 Jan 2011
Vang Vieng or Vieng Xai and Phonsavan ... By coralidiote on 6 Dec 2013 2 664 13 Dec 2013
Big Changes in Vang Vieng? ... By ehenness on 31 Aug 2012 90 18265 13 Oct 2013
vang vieng? ... By jasonkim8486 on 21 Oct 2009 1 3716 21 Oct 2009
gym in vang vieng? ... By zeus911 on 13 Mar 2010 3 4685 15 Mar 2010
Vang Vieng ... By clairebike on 4 Nov 2009 2 3384 20 Nov 2009
Instead of Vang Vieng... ... By JavaJunkie on 4 Feb 2010 11 5135 24 Sep 2011
Place in Vang Vieng ... By thecocoon on 14 Nov 2009 1 2885 7 Jan 2010