Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Slow boat down the Mekong - HoueiSay to Luang Prabang

• mangie

Joined Travelfish
    11th November, 2006

Hi Guys.
    HoueiSay to Luang Prabang down the Mekong on a slow boat.
    Any ideas of timings?
    Border opens at 0800am. Am I better to stay in HoueiSay the night to catch the boat early the next morning?
    The plan is to break the journey & stay the night in Pakbeng.
    Can I buy a ticket from HoueiSay to Luang Prabang & stop the night?
    We aim to do this journey early Feb.07. Do the boats get busy & can you buy tickets in advance?
    So many questions--Can somebody help with the answers?
    THANKS.

#1 Posted: 15/11/2006 - 02:30

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi mangie,

Welcome to Travelfish!

The trip takes the best part of two days and everyone overnights at Pakbeng and the ticket takes you to Luang Prabang (though you can get off at Pak Beng and head north if you want). You can catch the boat the day you cross the border or overnight in Huay Xai -- it's an interesting enough little town.

The boats are sometimes full sometimes empty - very variable, though I wouldn't suggest buying the ticket in advance (eg in Chiang Mai) as the price is inflated and you may end up on a substandard boat.

Hope that helps

#2 Posted: 15/11/2006 - 05:39

• LancasterLad

Joined Travelfish
    13th September, 2006

Hi Mangie

We are doing the slow boat in the opposite direction is a few days. We are in LP at the moment and enquired at the Pier booking office about tickets. We must buy separate tickets for the LP to Pak Beng leg and then another ticket ftom Pak Beng to Huay Xai. So I assume it's the same routine travelling south.

I'll be doing a trip report in a few weeks so you might find what I have to say interesting.

#3 Posted: 15/11/2006 - 14:50

• hasse_bjork

Joined Travelfish
    12th November, 2006

We are also doing the slow boat in the opposite direction and asked 2 booking offices. In one of them we could book a ticket from LP to Huay Xai and the other one only to Pak Beng (105 000 kip).

#4 Posted: 15/11/2006 - 21:04

• LancasterLad

Joined Travelfish
    13th September, 2006

I've done a trawl of a few travel agents the last few days. The only way to book a direct ticket to Huay Xai is by speedboat, which is potentially suicidal.

The cheapest way to book a ticket to Pak Beng is from the office at the jetty. It's 95,000 kip. When I was down there yesterday I was told that there was a boat leaving this morning to Pak Beng with soft airline type seats, and that the same boat would be travelling onward from Pak Beng to Huay Xai tomorrow morning at the same price. So I went down to the jetty this morning to check it out, and it was true. I then enquired how often the comfortable slow boat runs. As and when was the answer I got, so you have to keep checking at the jetty every day.

#5 Posted: 19/11/2006 - 14:48

• rayc101

Joined Travelfish
    19th February, 2006
    Total reviews: 5

Hi Mangie

Just finished this trip (Hui Xay - PakBeng - LuangPrabang) a few days ago.
    The slow boats are OK, but with uncomfortable and cramped seating for a long journey. However, for 95,000 Kp who's complaining. They are a great way to meet like-minded travellers.
    Preferably bring you own food. Drinks are readily available, if a little pricey.
    Pakben is a stopover town that does its best to re-write the currency-conversion guidelines, and rounding rules (also applies for Luang Prabang, which is also full of poor quality Chinese artifacts and clothing being passed off as Laotian). Keep a close eye on your change. All places in Pakben use generators to supply electricity, and some close off at 22:00ish. Thai Baht is the preferred currency because the Kip is virtually worthless, but you may be disappointed with the conversion rate. If you pay in Thai Bt, ask for you change in same. The current street rate is 260-265 Kp per TBt.
    You may also get asked if you want to smoke weed (or worse) virtually as soon as you set foot on dry land. Room rates range from 100 - 400 TBt for the night. For 100 TBt you get a bed with shared facilities and the mosquitoes are provided free. Definitely take a padlock, and choose a room which you can lock from the outside. One travelling associate had his money stolen from his locked room whist eating out in Pakben.
    The boats at this time of the year are often crowded with tourists, so don't expect some sort of idyllic African Queen adventure.
    RayC

#6 Posted: 19/11/2006 - 18:06

• chewbaca

Joined Travelfish
    12th November, 2006

I am interested in doing the reverse trip.

slow boat - 2 days
    speed boat - 6 hours

Are these the only options? According to the Laos Airlines website the flight no longer exists.

#7 Posted: 27/11/2006 - 22:14

• LancasterLad

Joined Travelfish
    13th September, 2006

Hi Chewbaca

LP to Huay Xai is up-river. Go down to the boat pier (not a pier!) and check when the next slowboat with soft seats is leaving. It costs 95,000 kips to Pak Beng and ditto from Pak Beng to Huay Xai.

The speedboats set off a mile or two up-river from LP. If you take the fast boat you are taking a serious risk of getting badly injured or worse. If you have time take a slow boat rip to Pak Ou caves and you'll see the speedboats in action, and also see that navigating parts of The Mekong are tricky. It only takes a moment or two of madness fron a speedboat driver and you're in big trouble mate.

Lao Airlines fly daily from LP to Chiang Mai. You'll probably have to book a few days in advance and the cost is about US$87. The flight takes an hour, and a limo into town is 120 bahts.

#8 Posted: 28/11/2006 - 11:30

• chewbaca

Joined Travelfish
    12th November, 2006

Thanks LL!

#9 Posted: 1/12/2006 - 12:50

• Thai_Tripper

Joined Travelfish
    9th April, 2005
    Total reviews: 2

I am also interested in doing this trip. So thanks for the info on soft seats.
    Present plan is to go north due to -
    My understanding is that VISA on entry at Huay Xai is no longer available and you have to apply in advance at BKK . Can anybody shed some light ?
    Thanks

#10 Posted: 1/12/2006 - 17:44

• Advertisement

• RonAPlymouth

Joined Travelfish
    5th February, 2014

I have just arrived in Luang Prabang after a very bad experience on the slow boat from Huay Xai, we expected the cramped conditions but we did not expect the very unpleasant people. The night at Pekbeng hassle by the locals to extract as much cash from you before you left in the morning and a complete lack of information from the boat company made this worse.
    The boats themselves are getting very old and thus less safe and liable to breakdowns etc. and the river is still the very dangerous place it always has been with rapids, rip tides and lumps of rock above and below the water. The seats on these boats are packed in and not secured to the deck. These boats have no life saving gear onboard, jackets, rafts anything that would float in an accident that will happen soon and many people will probably drown, even being a strong swimmer will not keep you safe.
    We were not taken to Luang Prabang instead dropped many kilometers before in the middle of nowhere where we were greeted by some very agressive men telling us to pay for our own way into town. At first the nearly 100 people onboard refused to get off and asked to be taken to Luang Prabang, the men got nastier and as a result people feeling intimadaited started to leave. Over 15 people remained onboard asking to be taken and were left there being jerred at by other boat owners and locals, very unplesant people, eventually and reluctantly we all left half of us had to pay the blackmail as we could not walk that far. Some of the younger people had to walk because they could not afford it, down a dangerous unlit road.
    Some local were onboard and did not attempt to leave the boat at this landing as they knew that it would go onto LP when we got off.
    The landing site used is not suitable very very steep and dangerous to climb, especially with heavy bags.
    My advice is give the slowboat a miss now it has become dangerous in many ways, the new freedom bridge is now open, if I could do it again I would take a Thai bus all the way to LP.
    The tuc tuc who took us into LP dropped us far away from where we had asked to go, the nationalities involved in defending travellers where Russian, French, Dutch, Australian and Brits.

#11 Posted: 6/2/2014 - 00:15

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Slow boat Vientiane to Pak Lai then Luang Prabang ... By mandyoz on 2 Nov 2010 4 4118 26 Feb 2014
Pakbeng to luang prabang , The slow boat:? ... By chicho83 on 9 Feb 2009 2 6076 22 Feb 2009
Huay Xai to Luang Prabang by slow boat ... By Yamahuh on 9 Nov 2007 43 35735 23 Jun 2008
Slow boat upriver from Luang Prabang to Huay Xai ... By TassieWombat on 24 Feb 2014 1 721 25 Feb 2014
Booking a bus and slow boat from Chiang Mai to Luang Prabang from Ch.M - any suggestions? ... By MissBanana on 11 Feb 2013 7 7219 12 Mar 2013
Phetsokxai in Pakbeng...stop on slow boat to Luang Prabang... ... By elizacass on 24 Nov 2009 0 3189 24 Nov 2009
Slow boat trip Mekong river ... By Paddy1888 on 22 Nov 2013 2 643 22 Nov 2013
Price of slow boats from Huay Xai to Luang Prabang ... By simeone_8 on 15 May 2006 5 5118 19 May 2006
Boat to Luang Prabang ... By odessafile on 10 Sep 2008 2 3302 13 Sep 2008
from Saigon to Luang Prabang along the Mekong ... By gecko on 6 May 2007 1 3051 7 May 2007