Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Top natural beauty places/sites in Laos?

• johnkitchen-
    er

Joined Travelfish
    19th September, 2010

Hey everyone! We're looking at exploring Laos with a real emphasis on culture and especially natural beauty. Im talking caves, lookouts, mountains, lagoons, flora and fauna, rivers ....etc. So if anyone has any suggestions, id love to hear them :)

also any adventure or hard trekking is a bonus :)

Thanks in advance! :)

#1 Posted: 27/9/2010 - 12:35

• Advertisement

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

Vang Vieng, Luang Prabang, Plain of Jars, Champassak, Attapeu. Many other places as well.

#2 Posted: 28/9/2010 - 15:08

• tinoh

Joined Travelfish
    13th February, 2010

Do the bolaven tour from Pakse. We did it by motorbike and loved it. Check out:
    http://www.bolaven.com/index.php

On the travel info page there is also a page about extreme trekking.

#3 Posted: 28/9/2010 - 15:20

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

Having only been to the north I can highly recommend Luang Prabang for both beauty and culture - some nice waterfalls around the area for day trips, plenty to see around the city.

I also think that Nong Kiaow is a very pretty spot to stay for a night. There is some really pretty scenery between there and Sam Neua . If you want to do the cultural experience of Phonsavan (Plain of Jars - I don't think there is much scenery in the area but the history is spectacular - you can read my review of the place) you could go from LP to Phonsoavan, then loop up to Sam Neua for a night or two - interesting caves around there - and then swing through the countryside to Nong Kiaow on your way back to LP. That's the loop I took and I very much enjoyed it. Could probably be done in a week and a 1/2 easily if you stick to a night or two per main stop.

#4 Posted: 28/9/2010 - 15:26

• idreamofdur-
    ian

TF writer
    Click here to learn more about idreamofdurian
    Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2008
    Location Singapore
    Total reviews: 4

Get yourself to Luang Prabang then start heading North along the river -- Nong Kiaow, Muang Ngoi, Sam Neua and onward. The further you get from Luang Prabang, the more authentic your trekking and village-visit experiences will be.

#5 Posted: 28/9/2010 - 16:18

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Natural beauty or islands in January? ... By hypersigil on 22 Nov 2010 2 2356 28 Nov 2010