Flag of Laos

Laos forum

laos into vietnam?

• irishdude

Joined Travelfish
    30th September, 2010

hi, i will be travelling through laos down to si phan don. Can anyone tell me if there is a border crossing nearby as i plan to go straight across to vietnam? i will be a bit stuck for time to travel up to Hanoi, i also plan to obtain viet visa in vientiane

many thanks

#1 Posted: 30/9/2010 - 03:51

• Advertisement

• svendj

Joined Travelfish
    30th April, 2010
    Location Belgium
    Places visited:
    At least 32

The only border I ever took between those 2 countries was at Ban Napé (or nearby) somewhere in the middle of laos. there is another border more to the north as well. Don't know anything about a border nearby Paksé as most people travel from and to Cambodia when in Paksé (or Si Pan Don).
    check out http://www.travelfish.org/laos-border-crossings.php for the exact borders

#2 Posted: 30/9/2010 - 20:27

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Total reviews: 11
    Places visited:
    At least 87

Posted from within Vietnam.

We travelled straight from Si Pan Don to Hue . I say straight, but it was a big bus from Si Pan Don to Pakse then a tuk tuk to the bus station, a 4 hour wait and then the worst minibus I've even been on to through the border and onto Hue. The border crossing is Lao Bai (or Bao??). We then hung around in Hue for a few hours and got onto the 4pm overnight train to Hanoi. So about 40 hours door-to-door.

#3 Posted: 1/10/2010 - 09:24

• irishdude

Joined Travelfish
    30th September, 2010

thanks for the replys...we have 6wks to go from bkk, fly to chiang mai and into northern laos and travel all the way to the south. Seriously thinking of skipping vietnam nam and just headin thtrouhg cambodia back to bkk and do the sothern islands of thailand. The following is the route were gonna try keep to (roughly) and leave out vietnam nam! hope others find it helpfull as it sounds awesome, 4 wks to go now wohoo! http://www.gapyear.com/boards/index.php?op=vt&c=9&f=75&t=286099

#4 Posted: 2/10/2010 - 04:30

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Total reviews: 11
    Places visited:
    At least 87

Posted from within Vietnam.

That sounds like a sensible and standard route. Of course there is likely to be some backtracking to / in Vietnam so the route becomes simpler if you skip it (straight from Si Phan Don to Cambodia and back into Bangkok) and you haven't got much time really so best focus on 3 countries rather than 4. You'll just have to come back for another trip!

#5 Posted: 2/10/2010 - 09:52

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.