Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Gibbons

• scootypaul

Joined Travelfish
    1st November, 2006

Has anyone been up to the gibbon experience northern loas Houayxay if so what was it like and how easy is it to get to from Vientiane
    Cheers Scootypaul

#1 Posted: 21/11/2006 - 21:49

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi scootypaul,

Welcome to Travelfish!

The Gibbon Experience is best reached from Huay Xai or Luang Nam Tha, so from Vientiane you'd need to get to one of those two towns first -- both are at least two days overland travel from Vientiane. If you've not seen it already, we've got a story about the gibbon experience here.

#2 Posted: 22/11/2006 - 06:33

• marianwarren

Joined Travelfish
    12th March, 2006
    Total reviews: 13

Hi scootypaul

I'm doing the gibbon exp on 29 nov - 1 dec. I'll let you know what it was like as soon as I can get online

Regards

Marian

#3 Posted: 23/11/2006 - 10:44

• scootypaul

Joined Travelfish
    1st November, 2006

Thanks everyone it sound brill i should be there 2nd week in december

#4 Posted: 23/11/2006 - 19:34

• Pip

Joined Travelfish
    19th July, 2006

Make sure that you book ahead. I just showed up and was told there were no opennings for two weeks. Now I will have to come back in a few years so I can actaully do it.

#5 Posted: 30/11/2006 - 10:36

• marianwarren

Joined Travelfish
    12th March, 2006

Scootypaul

Yes it was fantastic. If you expect the purpose of the whole trip is to see gibbons you may be disappointed, remember the project is to conserve, one of our party saw 2 gibbons and my daughter saw 1 ... fleetingly, you only get a glimpse as they travel through the trees. You may be lucky and be in a treehouse near where the gibbons are feeding but its a very large park and the treehouses are situated on the boundary. Gibbons aside zipping on the lines is a amazing experience, so high up. The treehouses are adequate but quite primitive. Still a very worthwhile cause and an unmissable experience.

As Pip said do book ahead. There were 9 people in our group (classic) and 9 in the waterfall which is the max allowed.

Regards

Marian

#6 Posted: 2/12/2006 - 12:23

• Manticore

Joined Travelfish
    9th November, 2006
    Total reviews: 3

I tried to do the Waterfall Gibbon Exp and had a place booked but couldnt commit to the date. Consequently lost the booking and my chance to live in the treetops for a few days. I was really pissed off with myself for letting that happen.
    I met a couple in Houay Xai that endured 7 hours on the fast boat and bad sunburn only to be told there were no more places. The girl alomost cried.

neither of us could afford the wait for the next outing and had to press on.

so the lesson here is BOOK AHEAD!!

#7 Posted: 4/12/2006 - 20:07

• princessdis-
    aster

Joined Travelfish
    30th November, 2006

Does anyone know the approx cost?

#8 Posted: 11/12/2006 - 13:13

• marianwarren

Joined Travelfish
    12th March, 2006

Hi princessdisaster

The classic is 5,500 baht and they are now offering a 3 night package which costs more - not sure how much. Pretty pricey but I don't know anywhere else you can do this, if you can squeeze it into your budget - do it. An unique experience!

Regards
    Marian

#9 Posted: 11/12/2006 - 14:18

• razzy

Joined Travelfish
    15th December, 2006

Hi
    I am so excited about the gibbon experience! I'm planning to do it in early jan - though I'd better get myself organised and book a date! Does anyone have any insights as to whether the classic or waterfall experience is better? I am travelling with my boyfriend and we liked the sound of the private tree house on the classic experience! Any insights?
    Also, have you guys heard of people booking in and arriving on time and then not being able to get in??
    THanks!!
    Razz

#10 Posted: 18/12/2006 - 07:49

• Advertisement

• marianwarren

Joined Travelfish
    12th March, 2006

Hi Razz

Talking to the guys who did the waterfall, it involves more walking than zipping. You only spend 1 night at the waterfall then back to treehouse 2 or 3. A fifth treehouse opened on Dec 1. There are plans for 12 treehouses in all with 1 village responsible for each. The most zip lines are between treehouses 1 and 2. Between 2 and 3 there is only 2 zip lines 1 in and 1 out. Personally I felt 2 nights were enough - everytime you zip there is an uphill climb to get to the next line - depends on how fit you are, I considered myself reasonably fit but was completely knackered after the 2 days.

Hope that helps

Marian

#11 Posted: 18/12/2006 - 11:12

• razzy

Joined Travelfish
    15th December, 2006

Fantastic - I'm much keener on zipping than walking! I think the classic experience sounds good to me. In your opinion are treehouses 1 and 2 the best to stay in, in terms of zipping?
    Did you have any trouble booking? Do the dates have to be to the day exact? What is the best way from Vientiane to Bokeo?
    Many thanks!

#12 Posted: 18/12/2006 - 11:43

• marianwarren

Joined Travelfish
    12th March, 2006

Hi razzy

Treehouse 1 is where we stayed, one comment in the comments book was that it felt like a bus station, but we had fun. Treehouse 1 sleeps 6 on 3 levels. TH 2 sleeps 2 or 3 at a push. These 2 have the most zip lines. You will at some point be sharing 1 breakfast and 1 lunch with the occupants of the other TH's, everyone rocks over to TH1 for this. TH1 was great for us cos we clicked with a spanish couple and continued to travel with them for another 2 weeks. Re booking - email the gibbon exp with your approx dates and they'll tell you when the programs start. I think you have to start in Huay Xai cos that's where their office is, you'll have to pay and sign the waiver form the day before you start, so how you get there is up to you, either by boat or bus

Have fun

Marian

#13 Posted: 20/12/2006 - 08:23

• rsj

Joined Travelfish
    28th June, 2007
    Total reviews: 6

I contacted the Gibbon experience about a visit in mid December, and they included a paragraph about wet weather that started like so:

"The rainy season has arrived. In the case of heavy rains, guests to the Gibbon Experience should be prepared to trek 4 to 7 hours between the main road and the tree houses. "

I would have assumed this time would be dry - am i missing something? I'd love to visit but wouldn't fancy the seven hour trek or the three days of leaches!

#14 Posted: 13/7/2007 - 18:21

• paul1234567-

Joined Travelfish
    10th July, 2007

Hi. A friend of mine lives in Pangmapha, Northern Thailand - she teaches to the local hill tribes for free each afternoon/early evening. Her boyfriend is a vet and each morning has been doing gibbon research in that area for a number of years. They see gibbons almost every day (perhaps unlike the gibbon experience).

But they are not a tourist attraction. They live simply and are Thai but have great English.

They have been able to survive and do the work they do as a Thai company gave them a grant. Recently they got the news that that grant will not be given this year. They don't know what they will do now.

Perhaps - if people are interested they could contact these people (put a message on here) and help out. But there are no zip lines etc. This is for non-touristy types who want to go and see gibbons and help real people. Added to that - I am not even sure it is possible as they will need to find jobs soon and probably have to leave the area.

But perhaps if some tourists or someone with money and an interest in gibbons can get involved - maybe their projects can be saved.

#15 Posted: 14/7/2007 - 14:44

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Paul, can you send me the details of the project in Soppong/Pangmapha -- we've got a researcher heading that way in the next week or so and it sounds like could be worth checking out. You can mail me at helpdesk@travelfish.org

Thanks!

#16 Posted: 16/7/2007 - 09:24

• paul1234567-

Joined Travelfish
    10th July, 2007

Somtam (my fav food) - you should have an email from me.

Paul

#17 Posted: 16/7/2007 - 22:25

• Helmet

Joined Travelfish
    11th August, 2007

http://www.gibbonexp.org/ dosnt seem to work for me although i found http://www.ecotourismlaos.com/activities/gibbon_trk.htm although i dont get a responce from the email address on that site
    does anyone know how i can get in contact with these people or what the story is?

#18 Posted: 21/8/2007 - 23:00

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.