Si Phon Don to Siem Reap

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

I'm looking into a trip to Southern Laos for 3 weeks this January/February. I figure a week for Pakse/Bolaven Plateau, I hear 4/5 days biking the Plateau is good time. Is doing that alone safe?

Anyway, then I'd head down to Si Phon Don for a few days. My option after that was to take any extra time exploring northward until I have to cross back over to catch a return flight from Bangkok. However, I'm also considering dipping into Cambodia as I've always wanted to check out the ruins around Siem Reap .

My question is, how long does it take to get from Si Phon Don to Siem Reap, is it an easy enough connection at the border? Then is it simply a day to take the bus form Siem Reap back to Bangkok or better to fly that section?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

#1 Posted: 1/10/2010 - 13:06

• Advertisement

• tinoh

Joined Travelfish
    13th February, 2010

Hi,

Ik think biking is safe over there, the only thing is that I don't know what kind of tour is possible on a bike. We did a 4 day tour on a motorbike, Pakse - Paksong - Ho chi min trail down to Attapeu and than through Sekong to Tad Lo and than back to Pakse. And than you have a couple of full days of travelling. You can't do that biking.

From Si Phan Don we booked a bus going to Phnom Penh. In the bus there were a lot of people wanting to go to Siem Reap. They all had to go first to PP and than the bus people wanted them to stay the night in PP and then go to SR the next day. After a lot of arguing they were put in a bus just before PP and went to SR from there. The will probably have arrived in SR early in the morning.

From SR to Bangkok we had a pretty easy trip. We booked a taxi to the border, past the border without any hassles and took a tuk tuk to the bus station. From there the bus to Bangkok. I think we left at about 09.00 hours and were in Bangkok at approx 15.30 hours.

#2 Posted: 1/10/2010 - 14:17

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.