Flag of Laos

Laos forum

SE Asia in December - help this compulsive planner relax!

• heidisueelv-
    us

Joined Travelfish
    20th August, 2010

Hi Everyone -

I will be in SE Asia for the month of December 2010. I have reservations in Hanoi and Luang Prabang at the beginning of the trip and on Phu Quoc at the end of the trip (Christmas) but no reservations for the 2 1/2 weeks in between. I would like to keep those weeks unplanned because I haven't decided how much time to spend traveling south from Luang Prabang in Laos, in Cambodia and in the Mekong Delta. I'd like to have the flexability to make those decisions while I'm there.
    That said, I've read that you don't need to make reservations, except during the peak tourist times like December, and being kind of a compulsive planner that's making me nervous. We will like to stay in moderately priced hotels, not backpacker budget and not luxury, but somewhere in between.
    Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

#1 Posted: 3/10/2010 - 23:35

• Advertisement

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Hi - Sounds like you are aiming for 'flashpacker' accommodation.

I travelled throughout Vietnam last December (from Hanoi and headed south), had Xmas in HCMC and continued on through the Mekong, and ended up in Phnom Penh for New Years. For most of the month, I didn't book any accommodation ahead of time, and had no problems. Stayed in backpacker-flashpacker style places. If I did book, it was only 2-3 days ahead of time.

Phu Quoc was the only place that I struggled with finding anything as that would have been for Xmas, but I gave up as I couldn't couldn't confirm anything. Admittedly I didn't try for long as I changed plans anyhow and decided to go to the Mekong area.

Based on my experience in Vietnam, I would suggest that the beginning weeks of December are not too bad., but Xmas day onward it definitely gets busier. But as you've got the Xmas period sorted, I think you would be fine.

If you are carrying a netbook, or can be bothered going into internet cafes, you can alway email places a day or two ahead of time to try and secure something. That would give you a bit more reassurance. But I think you will be fine.

#2 Posted: 4/10/2010 - 02:29

• heidisueelv-
    us

Joined Travelfish
    20th August, 2010

Thank you Lizzy. That was exactly the kind of information I was hoping for.

#3 Posted: 4/10/2010 - 05:23

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.