Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Buying a 125cc bike in Pakse, Laos

• jonathant

Joined Travelfish
    4th October, 2010

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hi everybody

I have a few questions about buying a second hand 125ccmotorbike in Laos, driving around on it for about a month, and selling itagain.
    My friend did this a while back, but as he is unreachablefor the moment and therefore unable to answer my questions, I thought I woulddo the next best thing; ask other travelers.

This is my plan. I will go to Laos in about two weeks,coming from Cambodia, and buy a small secondhand 125cc motorbike as soon aspossible and then tour the country for a month, ending either in Vang Vieng orLuang Prabang. As I have already been to the north a while back, I amconcentrating on the southern and central part of the country.

Here’s the lineup:
    1. I know it’s possible to buy a bike and later resell it inanother city, but is it possible to buy it in Pakse? Has anyone got experience?
    2. Any recommendations for a model? I rode 2000 km in thenorthern part of Vietnam on a rented Honda Neo Future 125cc - it was hard forthe bum, but otherwise it was great. I’d like to find something similar…
    3. What kinda paperwork do I need to make sure gets done?
    4. The one I was driving in Vietnam had a custom-madeluggage rack on the back, which made it very easy to mount my backpack with acouple of rubber hoses. Do you think that would be possible to find?
    5. Any trouble with the police?
    6. Does anyone know of any good road maps of Laos? I heardthe GT Rider map is good, can I get that in Pakse?

I think that’s all… any recommendations and other “headsup’s” would surely be appreciated!

#1 Posted: 4/10/2010 - 07:07

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

I'd be surprised if it were possible to do this legally - it is not possible in Thailand unless you reside here.

As for maps, if you have a good memory, you can use google earth, review where you want to go the next day and the surrounding area (because you can view actual colorized imagery, you can see details quite well) and then you "know" where you're going and the areas around it if you want to get off the man road. This works for me, but I have a thing and a memory for maps.

#2 Posted: 4/10/2010 - 11:49

• jonathant

Joined Travelfish
    4th October, 2010

Posted from within Vietnam.

No actually I just found out (in another forum) that it's not possible to do. But I might be able to do it via a Lao friend... I'm gonna email him right away.

Thanks for the google-maps suggestion. Though I think I would prefer a physical map by my side at all times :)

#3 Posted: 4/10/2010 - 21:31

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
125cc Bike needed for Jan 3rd-7th 2012 (HCM) ... By stik86 on 11 Dec 2011 4 751 1 Jan 2012
Buying motorbike in Pakse ... By MrWonka on 14 Jun 2014 0 476 14 Jun 2014
Buying a bicycle in Pakse ... By fxhnd on 31 Jan 2009 2 2100 1 Feb 2009