Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Mosquitoes and Malaria-Luang Prabang

• merrylg

Joined Travelfish
    17th November, 2006

I am traveling with my husband to Luang Prabang at the beginning of Jan. I am pregnant and trying to assess how serious the mosquito/malaria problem is in Luang Prabang in the winter. My doctor has said it is a high risk malaria area and recommended I take Larium, but studies are inconclusive regarding the safety of this drug in pregnant women. Can anyone report in on the intensity of the mosquitoes in Luang Prabang during the winter season? Do you take a malaria preventitive? Thanks!

#1 Posted: 22/11/2006 - 20:46

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi merrylg,

Welcome to Travelfish!

Let me preface this by saying I am not a doctor!

I wouldn't recommend that anyone ever take Larium -- my wife had a very bad reaction to it and I know of two other women who had similiar episodes.

I really can't give advice about taking it when pregnant. After a quick google search I found this:

"Lariam may be given to pregnant women in the second and third trimesters, but should be avoided if possible in the first trimester."
    http://mdtravelhealth.com/infectious/malaria.html

As to the question of taking malarials in general, my advice is always not to --unless you are planning on spending prolonged periods of time in rural areas. You're better off to use repellent, dress sensibly at dawn and dusk and use a mosquito net.

Hope that helps

#2 Posted: 23/11/2006 - 14:31

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
What malaria risks in Luang Prabang, early February? ... By EdwardTrunk on 18 Oct 2013 6 4247 23 Oct 2013
Would you get anti-malaria and anti-rabies preventative treatments for Luang Prabang? ... By EdwardTrunk on 15 Jan 2014 4 1339 19 Jan 2014
Flights from Chiang Mai to Luang Prabang & Luang Prabang to Hanoi(V'nam)? ... By aussieboonmar on 8 Mar 2006 7 9386 19 Aug 2011