Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Luang Prapang, bus help needed!

• dizriz

Joined Travelfish
    7th October, 2010

Ok, hi. Hope everyone is ok!
    I'm having fun out here but I am struggling with one thing...

I need to get to Vinh and here http://www.travelfish.org/transport/laos/northern_laos/luang_prabang/luang_prabang/all it says there is a bus from Luang Prabang.

Does anybody know if it is still working as I can't find informaion on it anywhere else. Also if so, which station, the north or the south?

Your help is greatly appreciated and much needed!

Thank you!

#1 Posted: 7/10/2010 - 20:28

• Advertisement

• wanderingcat

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2006
    Total reviews: 4
    Places visited:
    At least 67

from Ban Naluang (southern) bus station:
    http://laomeow.blogspot.com/2010/01/luang-prabang-province-transport.html

you can check at the tourist info office in central LPB (at the end of the 'night market' road that's closer to the PO) for latest info, they should have the bus timetables pasted on the wall.

#2 Posted: 12/10/2010 - 10:55

• dizriz

Joined Travelfish
    7th October, 2010

Posted from within Vietnam.

Thanks!
    Most of the tour operators/information tried to send me back to Vientane then Vinh ! Found the bus at the station you said, great journey, took about 21 hours and only 3 of us on it most of the way!

Problems started in Vinh bus station when trying to get a bus to Hanoi... the lady in the ticket office wouldn't sell us a ticket because there were touts around I guess, maybe she was scared or in cahoots with them. Anyway had to get on an over priced minibus crammed full of people.

Got there in the end though!

#3 Posted: 15/10/2010 - 18:01

• wanderingcat

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2006
    Places visited:
    At least 67

only 3 of us on it most of the way!

very rare in Laos :P have no idea which route the LPB-Vinh bus takes...which towns/border crossing did you pass through?

#4 Posted: 19/10/2010 - 10:21

• dizriz

Joined Travelfish
    7th October, 2010

Ah yes, the details....
    I think it goes WED, THU, SAT and possibly another day. Costs 200,000kip or 180,000 when they run occasional special offers.

We crossed at Nong Haet / Cau Treo, a very easy crossing. We arrived about half an hour before the border opened (8am I think) and there were us three and a bunch of what looked like builders in big wagons.

I haven't got my map on me so aren't sure on the villages we passed through but it was a great journey. There's talk of it being too dangerous or twisty-turny on the route, it's fine, really fine. The drivers are very used to the roads, aren't crazy and actually want to stay out of danger too.

#5 Posted: 19/10/2010 - 10:32

• wanderingcat

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2006
    Places visited:
    At least 67

thanks for the info!
    btw to get to the Nong Haet/Cau Treo crossing, the bus would have passed through VTE anyway.

#6 Posted: 22/10/2010 - 16:02

• dizriz

Joined Travelfish
    7th October, 2010

He he, maybe we didn't cross there then... ?
    :)

#7 Posted: 24/10/2010 - 13:40

• wanderingcat

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2006
    Places visited:
    At least 67

check the Laos exit stamp in your passport? should have the name of the border crossing indicated.

#8 Posted: 24/10/2010 - 14:15

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.