Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Eating out in Vientiane

• mandarinky

Joined Travelfish
    9th October, 2010

Hey guys I just came in from Thailand for a visa run and I'm only going to stat here a few days, so I would like to try out real lao food before I head back to Thai. Do you know any good spot?! thanks.

#1 Posted: 9/10/2010 - 17:19

• Advertisement

• maradona

Joined Travelfish
    9th October, 2010

Hi I been to this restaurant few week ago i think is called Kong Khao it is a really nice place no far from Novotel, with a big garden, the serve some really good lao food. They also play good music the owner also told me that it is the cultural center of the town. It is a good place to hang out and meet some friends.

#2 Posted: 9/10/2010 - 17:45

• mandarinky

Joined Travelfish
    9th October, 2010

Thanks Maradona, are you The maradona??!! hahahh
    anyway I would like to check it out. found novotel on google maps..where is this place exactly?

#3 Posted: 9/10/2010 - 18:32

• somsai

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2006
    Location United States

I'd ask the people at your guest house to point you to a pho (pronounced fuh) restaurant. Most neighborhoods have one and it's a mid morning staple. Restaurants specialize in it. I'd also ask to be pointed towards a kao piak restaurant. It's also a breakfast food of stick to your ribs noodles and either pork or chicken broth.

A very good trick is to eat what and where the Lao people do. Very few eat at sit down restaurants as we do. Mostly they get it off the to go carts as can you. When you smell barbeque follow your nose and buy some of the pork, it's local and farm raised, they sell sticky rice on the side. Also get a French bread sandwich when you see them pre made and stacked up in piles. Premade you eat all the same ingredients as the locals, there are things in there you might miss out on otherwise. It's called pate with an accent grave over the E. pronounced pah-tay.

For the evening just eat at those outside tables down by the Mekong like everyone else. Prices are a little steep and the food is hit or miss but it's what everyone does. Beer same same.

#4 Posted: 10/10/2010 - 05:00

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Vietnamese Pho or French bread with pate. Not exactly the most homegrown of cuisine, but I agree definitely the fun stuff that locals enjoy. In addition to the places in VTE along the riverside, you'll also get a good sample of local fingerfoods up near the Monument, which is another local hangout, particularly on weekends.

Sweet, thick Lao coffee is a treat, and a nice cold Beer Lao while sitting alongside the Mekong is about as good as it gets.

Somsai, what about kai yang and raw papaya salad? Or are those more of a northeast Thailand thing? I remember eating them in southern Laos but don't recall seeing them in Vientiane so much.

#5 Posted: 10/10/2010 - 05:16

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

I prefer Khao Piak to pho by a long way. There is a very good Khao Piak restaurant at the top of Rue Pangkham on the lhs.
    #2 has been spamming a number of sites with his restaurant. I suspect he is the owner.

#6 Posted: 10/10/2010 - 08:12

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

By the way, Somsai, Khao Piak is not just for breakfast. I frequently have it for lunch, as do many Laos.
    Tamak hung is certainly served in Vientiane, Exacto. The girls in particular love it.

#7 Posted: 10/10/2010 - 08:19

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.