Flag of Laos

Laos forum

LP - VV - Vientiane - BKK (train/ day allocation /help)

• noakess

Joined Travelfish
    14th February, 2010

Hi - her'e my plan to my Laos part of my trip,
    need to be back in /BKK on Dec 7th for a flight but have about 7-8 days to spend in Laos. Planning to come from Chiang Rai - and exit from Vientiane . Can you pleas ehelp allocating days - and if anyone knows a bit more about train from Laos to BKK - or is over night train Laos (Nong Kha) to BKK the only option? I would prefer to not to fly if possible.

Also - not loving what i read about VV - but think it might be worth to break the long bus journey with quick stop....

Chinag Khong -> Huay Xai (Border Crossing)
    Huay Xai -> Luang Prabang (by boat, with an overnight stay in Pak Beng)
    Luang Prabang -> Vang Vieng
    Vang Vieng -> Vientiane
    Vientiane -> Bangkok (sleeper train www.seat61.com/Laos)

#1 Posted: 11/10/2010 - 03:35

• Advertisement

• wanderingcat

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2006
    Total reviews: 4
    Places visited:
    At least 67

Not much choice in allocating days - in terms of travel time:
    1. full day: Chiang Khong > Huay Xai > Pak Beng (assuming overnight in CK or HX)
    2. full day: Pak Beng > LPB
    3. 6.5+ hours: LPB > VV (buses leave every hour or so in daytime)
    4. 3.5+ hours: VV > VTE
    5. Vientiane > Nong Khai > Bangkok

that's about 4+ days spent just on transport to get from one place to the next...leaves you ~3+ days worth of time to allocate, & allocation depends on your specific interests...

#2 Posted: 12/10/2010 - 10:43

• noakess

Joined Travelfish
    14th February, 2010

Thanks for the quick response....In total I have full 19 days to visitBKK - Highlight of Central+North Thailand, Luang Prabang and Vientiane.not to keen on Vang Vieng - but seems liek good idea to break thejourney...

another option would be to fly BKK- Vientiane, then travel to LP, cross border and make my way south...

thoughts?

#3 Posted: 12/10/2010 - 19:56

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

Flying to Vientiane is a much better idea. You can also fly to Udon Thani with Air Asia or Nok, and take a mini bus to the Friendship Bridge. This will save a bit of money. Udon is also worth a day or so, if you have the time.

#4 Posted: 13/10/2010 - 09:22

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.