Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Best way into Laos from Hanoi? Fly? Motorbike? Bus?

• W_Sobchak

Joined Travelfish
    23rd September, 2010

plan to depart Hanoi around Nov 1, spend 10 days in northern laos and we dont have a set starting point. What is the most convenient, efficient route and method to spend 10 days.....

#1 Posted: 12/10/2010 - 19:58

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

If money doesn't matter - then fly. If money matters, then "efficient" has a new defition.

#2 Posted: 12/10/2010 - 23:43

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Total reviews: 11
    Places visited:
    At least 87

Posted from within Vietnam.

Fly to LP and do a loop from there (by bus and boat I guess, I'm not sure how easy it is by bike but there a no doubt posts and stories on this website which cover that) or travel slowly overland through NW Vietnam, cross over at Dien Bien Phu and travel through Northern Laos from there. It really does depend upon what you mean by convenient and efficient and what you want to get out of your 10 days but I'd go for the latter option personally.

#3 Posted: 13/10/2010 - 10:05

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

Best and most efficient would be to fly to Vientiane . The bus trip is horrible. From Vientiane you can take a bus to Luang Prabang via Vang Vieng. Do a trip to the Plain of Jars from Luang Prabang.

#4 Posted: 13/10/2010 - 10:36

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Total reviews: 11
    Places visited:
    At least 87

Posted from within Vietnam.

I wasn't suggesting getting the direct bus from Hanoi to Laos, as yes, it's horrible, - but when you said Northern Laos I assumed you meant north of LP, if so then there seemed little point in flying to Vientiane hence my two alternative suggestions. If you mean more north-middle of Laos then Rufus's suggestion makes sense of course.

#5 Posted: 13/10/2010 - 10:41

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Is there anything west of Luang Prabang / VV in Laos other than remote, desolate villages?

#6 Posted: 13/10/2010 - 16:30

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

Bokeo and Luang Namtha have stunning scenery, Mac.

#7 Posted: 15/10/2010 - 10:17

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Rufus
    As you've undoubtedly observed, I'm not much of a scenery kind of guy. Guess it has an appeal for some folks though.

#8 Posted: 15/10/2010 - 14:58

• darcon

Joined Travelfish
    29th September, 2010

Hi,

Just wondering if you tested Rufus' way of flying to Vientiane and then the bus from Luang Prabang? If so...hoe did it work out and which airline carrier was best to use from Hanoi? Hoping to do this journey some time in the next 2 weeks!!

Thanks

#9 Posted: 25/10/2010 - 13:50

• kgroarke

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2011

Hi,
    i was also wondering whether you done this flight from Hanoi to Vientaine and how did it work out on cost and efficency?? and how was the bus to luang prabang??

cheers

#10 Posted: 27/6/2011 - 21:28

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.