Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Looking for a trekking guide and some adventure.

• W_Sobchak

Joined Travelfish
    23rd September, 2010

My girlfriend and I are coming to Laos in 2 days and we wish to do some trekking and touring with a guide. We land in Vientiane in two days. We are willing to take a flight to another part of the country to start our adventure, but we would like to meet up with a local guide. Also we would like to experience some less rural areas as well, with a guide.

Any suggestions of where to fly from Vientiane to start our 2 weeks in Laos? Any info for contacting guides? We are in our twenties and fit, and up for physically demanding trekking and most importantly cultural experiences.

#1 Posted: 17/10/2010 - 18:24

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

The most "developed" trekking scene is in Luang Nam Tha in the north. There are a wide range of treks available and you'll have the best chance of getting a group together there. It is a bit of a different scene to trekking in Thailand, but still interesting. I did a trek out of LNT earlier this year and blogged about it here may be of interest.

If Luang Nam Tha is too far, this is some trekking available into a nearby NPA out of Vientiane itself, though if you've time, I think heading further afield might be more rewarding.

#2 Posted: 18/10/2010 - 09:14

• svendj

Joined Travelfish
    30th April, 2010
    Location Belgium
    Places visited:
    At least 32

Go to the main bus station and ask a tuk tuk driver there to take you to the most south bus station all the way out of Vientiane , take the small bus at this station towards south of Laos, Ask them to stop at Ban Na village (some nice trekking), you have to walk to the town probably (it's just a sandy road into the jungle). You can find some guides there if you want and after a day of hiking and sleeping in the jungle you can ask them to bring you to Ban Hatkai the next day. This is a village about 15 km more south of Ban Na and there's a really nice (and difficult) trek available here if you want. in the evening you can stay at the locals there houses and eat with them. Do remember to bring some cash along as there are no atm's or whatever. You can also book tours to the Ban Na village at some guesthouses in Vientiane but they will be expensive (in my opinion). speaking the local language a bit and figuring it out yourself is a good adventure as well and it will save you a lot of cash instead of booking a guide. Though no complaints about hiring a guide as they most of the time can take you to some nice rural places as well.

#3 Posted: 19/10/2010 - 18:54

• Nokka

Joined Travelfish
    6th April, 2009
    Location United Kingdom

We trekked from Nong Khiaow with a guide from Tiger Trails. It was a day trek, through several tribal villages, though I believe they have longer treks if desired. We organised the day when in Nong Khiaow - Tiger Trails have a small office there, though I'm sure you can book ahead also.

#4 Posted: 19/10/2010 - 19:49

• jarunsaksri-

Joined Travelfish
    25th February, 2011

If you are in Thailand, I would invite you to do this trip. from Sangklaburi to Umphang Trekking. It is very nice and real Adventure

#5 Posted: 9/3/2011 - 11:58

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Sangklaburi to Umphang trekking and dirtbike Adventure ... By jarunsaksri24 on 25 Feb 2011 3 3472 21 Dec 2013