Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Pak Lai to Vientiane by boat

• mangosteen27

Joined Travelfish
    19th October, 2010

Has anyone done this trip recently? According to the Lonely Planet there are boats going in the morning but they fail to say if it's every morning, and in any case the latest edition is well out of date now, so for all I know it's not even running anymore! I've heard that it runs every 2 days FROM Vientiane so would assume it's the same in the other direction - can anyone confirm, and if so, which days?
    Also, I won't have much time to hang around if the boat doesn't show up, so does anyone know about the bus options back to Vientiane?
    Any help much appreciated!

#1 Posted: 19/10/2010 - 14:49

• Advertisement

• wanderingcat

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2006
    Total reviews: 4
    Places visited:
    At least 67

it runs every 2 days FROM Vientiane so would assume it's the same in the other direction

yes.
    but not sure about which days for the VTE > Pak Lai direction (Pak Lai > VTE was M, W, F, Sat). if in VTE, ask the tuktuk drivers near the PO/Khua Din market - they should be able to find one of the drivers 'based' at Kao Liaow boat landing who would know if & when the boats are running.

Also, I won't have much time to hang around if the boat doesn't showup, so does anyone know about the bus options back to Vientiane?

there was a once daily VTE > Pak Lai bus, but didn't see any timetable for it at VTE northern bus station last Dec (it was listed in 2008). however, did see a Sayabouly-Xanakham-VTE bus listed at Sayabouly bus station last Dec - it'd have to pass through Pak Lai along the way.

http://laomeow.blogspot.com/2010/01/sayabouly-province-transport.html

#2 Posted: 22/10/2010 - 15:56

• GillesFromF-
    rance

Joined Travelfish
    13th December, 2010

Following advice of Lonely Planet guide (and some research on internet) I was in Pak Lai today (Monday) hoping to find a regular boat for Vientiane. Sadly the boat no longer exists - I cannot assert with certitude it is definitely over, it might be a seasonal problem, but it seems likely this boat is dead.

Note that I took the bus ride instead, and that it is quite nice (forested hills, beautiful stretches along the Mekong) though a bit tiring (half the route is on unsealed roads).

#3 Posted: 13/12/2010 - 18:57

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.