Flag of Laos

Laos forum

by boat from Vieniane to Pakse?

• nipitiri

Joined Travelfish
    30th October, 2010

Hi!
    When I look at the map, I see the Mekong going south from Vientiane , towards Savannakhet and Pakse, but I can not find any information about traveling that way. Does anybody know, if it is possible to travel by boat from Vientiane to Pakse? Thanks.

#1 Posted: 30/10/2010 - 22:52

• Advertisement

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Possible but not easy. No regular passenger services for foreigners so you'd have to hire a private boat and pay big $! Also note that since the Mekong is the Thai/Lao border most of the way you have visa issues to deal with. If for any reason your boat lands on the wrong side you could get into bureaucratic trouble. Meanwhile highway 13 is good and solid all the way down and buses are cheap and relatively fast, so that's how the locals travel. Still it's nice to dream ;-)

#2 Posted: 31/10/2010 - 18:44

• nipitiri

Joined Travelfish
    30th October, 2010

Thanks. A dream it will be then... ;)

#3 Posted: 1/11/2010 - 01:00

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Pakse Boat ... By Tilapia on 29 Oct 2008 5 1845 7 Nov 2008
Boat from Pakse to Champasak ... By dclayw on 17 Jul 2009 6 6308 9 Jan 2013