Flag of Laos

Laos forum

8 days in Laos -starting in huay xai

• roccstar

Joined Travelfish
    31st October, 2010

Hi,
    I will travel to Laos in the end of November. I will start my trip in Chiang Rai, so I will enter the country in huay xai. I will have 8 days until I will take a flight from LP to Ha Noi.
    My first plan was to take the boat down the mekong and then to spend the rest in LP, including 2-3 days of trekking.
    From what I read in this forum, I understand that 7 days in LP would be too long.
    Now I consider to go to Luang Nam Tha first (2-3 days) and do the trekking in that area. Afterwards I would still have 4 days in LP.

Any thoughts on that? Is the boattrip from Huay xai to LP really worth doing?

On a sperate matter, does anyone has experience with cooking classes in LP?

Thank you in advance for your help!

#1 Posted: 31/10/2010 - 17:45

• Advertisement

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

I get a little bored on boat trips after a few hours - even the spectacular scenery down the Li River in China I was ready to get off the boat around lunch. I've not done that leg of the Mekong but those I've talked to who have gave less than grand accounts - the slow boat is very slow and the scenery gets repetitive. Going trekking up north in Lang Nam Tha is a great idea before getting into Luang Prabang - you can relax and soak up the temples after getting dirty.

#2 Posted: 31/10/2010 - 21:07

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

i don't think seven days in luang prabang is too long, but i really like it there and don't mind a few days of nothing but long lunches along the riverside and sunsets on phou sii.

even so, if i had that full week like you do, i'd be temped to go overland to Luang Nam Tha and then down to LP with maybe even an overnight stopover in Udomsai. i think four days in LP will still be enough to catch all the highlights and still have some mellow time to explore the city too. regards.

#3 Posted: 1/11/2010 - 06:49

• wanderingcat

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2006
    Total reviews: 4
    Places visited:
    At least 67

there are more scenic boat trips elsewhere in Laos.
    most people do this trip only because they studied the Lonely Planet Textbook :P
    my vote goes to the Luang Namtha option.
    or you could even go overland to Nong Khiaw instead, trek there & then travel Nong Khiaw-LPB by boat.

not done any cooking courses, but one place in LPB to consider:
    http://tamnaklao.yolasite.com/

#4 Posted: 1/11/2010 - 10:44

• roccstar

Joined Travelfish
    31st October, 2010

Thank you so much for your help!
    I think at frist I will go to Luang Nam Tha and then to LP.

#5 Posted: 1/11/2010 - 15:01

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.