Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Wooden platters/bowls - A deal?

• TheNewGuy8

Joined Travelfish
    8th September, 2010

Hi All. I'm in luang prabang for another 2 nights. at a few shops and at the market I saw these beauuutiful wooden serving platters/bowls. They're made of Ebony/Mahogany/Teak, etc. The ebony especially is beautiful. But they're all pretty expensive. The platters start at 150,000 to 200,000 kip. The vases are like 500,000. That seems super expensive - sort of similar to what I'd pay in america.

Can this kind of wooden tableware be bought in Thailand? Is there anything I need to know about wood made here bringing it back to a different climate (perhaps with ac?). The products here did not appear to be laquered, just oiled i imagine. If its a good price here I'll just get the stuff since I'm rather smitten with it, but if I can get it cheaper in Vientiane or in Bangkok I'll wait.

Thanks!

#1 Posted: 31/10/2010 - 22:53

• Advertisement

• LaoNow

Joined Travelfish
    14th May, 2010

On my last trip to Laos I saw a big wide wooden platter. When asked what it was used for I was told for gold panning in the Mekong. It was maybe 30 inches wide and very thin and shallow and would be a great conversation piece to go with your other bowls. During the low river season I've noticed much more gold panning than before all the way from Huay Xai to Luang Prabang. The current price of gold must have them drooling. Suppose you'd have to go to local traditional markets to find one but they probably are cheap.

#2 Posted: 1/11/2010 - 11:59

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.