Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Just a small message to say- come to Lin`s cafe in Savannakhet!

• newbiedanie-
    lle

Joined Travelfish
    5th August, 2010

Hi, I just thought I`d write a short post about Savannahket in central Laos. I arrived a few days ago and just wanted to say its a great place to come. I have seen under 5 other tourists, and that was only at my guesthouse and the local museum- which is well worth a visit. There are a great number of trekking and cycling tours to choose from and everyone seems very friendly. The town itself is very laid back and relaxed-even more so than the rest of Laos and the food is great- lots of seafood, I had fried squid for dinner last night for only 20000 kip. I especially wanted to mention Lin`s cafe in the centre of town near the plaza. The food and staff are lovely- she educated me on the right way to eat spring rolls! They also do a cooking course for just 50000 kip per dish which I am doing on Thursday, looking forward to that a lot. So, thanks for reading and I hope this encourages a few more people to come to her cafe as they really deserve to do well and it has one of the cheapest cooking course options I have seen around.

#1 Posted: 2/11/2010 - 15:41

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

I'm glad you're enjoying it. I live just across the river in Mukdahan. Savanakhet isn't exactly my kind of place, but great that you like it.

#2 Posted: 2/11/2010 - 17:00

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

So what is the "right way" to eat spring rolls? Btw have you visited the dinosaur museum. (You might even find Mac there!)

#3 Posted: 3/11/2010 - 11:56

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

What are we implying here Rufus?

And why do people keep calling them "spring rolls"? Egg rolls damnit!

#4 Posted: 3/11/2010 - 12:07

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

"What are we implying here Rufus?"
    Just kidding, Mac I'm older than you are.

Egg rolls? There are no eggs in them. I guess there are no "springs" in them either.

#5 Posted: 3/11/2010 - 17:14

• wanderingcat

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2006
    Total reviews: 4
    Places visited:
    At least 67

spring roll = direct translation of the Chinese name chun1 (Spring, as in the season, not the metal coil) juan3 (to roll up). traditionally stuffed with vegetables available in Spring. there's a non-deepfried version made/eaten by SE Asian Chinese that can contain egg (in the form of omelette sliced into thin strips).

no idea how Westerners came up with names like 'egg rolls' & 'summer rolls' for various versions (Chinese, Vietnamese, etc) of them?

#6 Posted: 3/11/2010 - 18:14

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

When I was a kid, a chinese restaraunt opened up in our town. It was a big deal, up until then we didn't have one. For about a week, it was the talk of the town. And they called them "egg rolls". When I moved to Germany the Germans were calling them "Spring rolls" (Fruhlings Rolle). Somewhere in between, or probably before, they started calling them "spring rolls" in the US. Now nobody calls them egg rolls anymore. No one respects tradition.

#7 Posted: 3/11/2010 - 19:25

• newbiedanie-
    lle

Joined Travelfish
    5th August, 2010

Yes, I went to the dinosaur museum yesterday- the staff were very enthusiastic and friendly which was nice. The cooking course was great ( I made beef laap) which looked very nearly like hers. My only downside has to be the stray dog outside my guesthouse which for some reason hates me and lies in wait for me to pass to try and attack my ankles (my hefty stephen king book is coming in useful). Thanks for the info on the egg\spring rolls- I had no idea where the name came from before :)

#8 Posted: 5/11/2010 - 13:34

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.