Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Laos itinerary advice - 11 days

• sleepymonst-
    er

Joined Travelfish
    2nd November, 2010
    Location United Kingdom

Hi. I'm visiting Laos for the first time later this month, arriving in Vientiane early on 15 November and flying out of Luang Prabang early on 26 November. I'm thinking of an itinerary like this:

Day 1-3: Vientiane
    Day 4: travel to Vang Vieng
    Day 5: Vang Vieng
    Day 6: travel to Luang Prabang
    Day 7-11: Luang Prabang
    Day 12: leave Luang Prabang for Cambodia

I'm 29, travelling on my own, and interested in art, architecture, history, food and mountain scenery -- and trying to get as much insight into Lao/hill tribe culture as I can in the limited time available. Does this itinerary make sense?

I'm keen to travel north of Luang Prabang to Nong Khiaw / Muang Ngoi to see somewhere slightly off the beaten track and do a day/overnight trek. Is it worth sacrificing time in and around Luang Prabang or moving faster through Vientiane or Vang Vieng to do this? Or will this make everything too rushed?

Other questions:
    (i) I like to buy masks as souvenirs. Do they feature much in Lao/minority culture? Is Luang Prabang the best place to get souvenirs / Christmas presents (and how does it compare in this respect to Siem Reap and Phnom Penh where I'll be later)?
    (ii) Will I struggle to meet similar travellers with the pace of this itinerary and/or if I pick accommodation that falls more into Travelfish's 'flashpacker' rather than 'backpacker' category?
    (iii) Is late November sufficiently into high season that I should pre-book accommodation in Luang Prabang?

Many thanks in advance.

#1 Posted: 3/11/2010 - 06:44

• Advertisement

• wanderingcat

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2006
    Total reviews: 4
    Places visited:
    At least 67

if you had more time then might want to consider going all the way north to Muang Sing for the Boun That Xieng Tung festival that falls on the same date (21 Nov 2010) as Boun That Luang in VTE.

but even with your itinerary, plenty of opportunities to explore your interests.

masks - see here:
    http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/thread.jspa?threadID=1755703

best to book accomm for VTE this Nov - plenty of activities & visitors for the 450th anniversary celebrations.

#2 Posted: 3/11/2010 - 08:25

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

Agree with the above.

#3 Posted: 3/11/2010 - 11:53

• sleepymonst-
    er

Joined Travelfish
    2nd November, 2010
    Location United Kingdom

Thanks for the tips. So the consensus is that it probably doesn't make sense for me to try to make it to Muang Ngoi / Nong Khiaw in the time I have available?

#4 Posted: 4/11/2010 - 05:55

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

I don't recall much of hill-tribe action going on in the flood plain of the delta around Luang Prabang. You'd certainly want to head farther north if you want hill-tribe visits. It takes a good day to get up to Muang Sing but there is much more off the track than Muang Ngoi /NongKhiao - last time I was there Muang Ngoi had basically turned into a guest-house and spa street. Fine to visit if you have more time, but what you're looking for sounds farther afield than that.

You really seem keen on culture, so I might recommend skipping VV and heading straight to LP for two days. Then head up north into Luang Nam Tha /Muang Sing for 4 days (including travel time there and back). Then on your last days in LP you can hit up the night market and try to avoid all the China-junk, stocking up on gifts at the end of the trip - if time allows still take a pleasant day trip to a waterfall in the area.

Someone may want to correct me on the one day trip to Luang Nam Tha from Luang Pra Bang.

#5 Posted: 4/11/2010 - 11:29

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
21 days in Thailand, itinerary advice ... By Sobersailor on 10 Jan 2014 8 1326 26 Jan 2014
60 days in Indochina. Suggestions/advice on my itinerary welcome! ... By Lornie on 21 Nov 2008 2 2297 21 Nov 2008
16 days itinerary advice - including trip questions ... By Jaimyvandijke on 26 Jul 2013 4 1448 29 Jul 2013
Advice on Itinerary- 7 days travel Saigon to Hanoi ... By raineong on 26 Mar 2013 7 3141 4 Apr 2013
12 days BKK to Laos, northern Laos Itinerary help (LP and points north) ... By jaxphoto on 17 Feb 2011 8 3391 21 Feb 2011