Flag of Laos

Laos forum

22 year old male traveling to Laos for the first time!

• ihoopjazz

Joined Travelfish
    5th November, 2010

Hi friends,

I am a new member to the travel fish forums. I have been checking out this website for the last couple weeks and it is a great resource. I will be traveling alone in Laos for 2-3 weeks as part of a larger trip this coming January/February. I am flying into Vientiane. Right now I have no concrete plans and I am looking for suggestions on where to go and what to do! I'm not really looking for the "backpacker" type experience with lots of partying ,etc. I really want to spend a lot of time in beautiful places/cities and would like to learn about the culture of this country. Of course, I am not opposed to meeting other travelers my age, staying in hostels, etc. Any and all suggestions are welcome! Thanks for taking the time to read this

-Ian

#1 Posted: 5/11/2010 - 21:09

• Advertisement

• christay2009

Joined Travelfish
    8th February, 2009
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 4

I am suprised no one replied to this, then again, you could probably find LOADS of good suggestions by sifting through the forum. Also I would say, on the whole, asking a forum for a generic 'plan' doesn't yield great results.

Do you intend to go North or South? 2-3 weeks i would just pick one orthe other. North seems more popular overall. 'Culture' is pretty broad.Just being there ticks that box pretty well. What do you actually enjoydoing? are you a food tourist? do you like trekking? Are youinteresting in minorities/hill tribes? etc etc How are you leaving Laos? a flight? by land into Vietnam/China/Cambodia?

If you aren't looking to party then Laos is probably a good choice; it is not really a party country overall - not in the Western sense anyway. Of course, there is Vang Vieng and, at 22, i would still recommend going for a night or two if you can spare it. A good place to meet people.

Hope that helps [abit]

#2 Posted: 12/12/2010 - 01:18

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

2-3 weeks is best for either just the North or just the South.

There is a great feature article on Remote Southern Laos in the Laos Section of the Stories tab. That is what I've been using as a keystone for my visit there. So, if you're heading into Cambodia or Southern Vietnam after Laos you could start by reading that.

If you're going to the North - there is a lot of hiking up by Luang Nam Tha , after going to Luang Prabang, you could head north stopping at Nong Kiaow-Muang Ngoi on your way to Luang Nam Tha (good if you're heading into Northern Thailand).

#3 Posted: 12/12/2010 - 10:18

• shotgun

Joined Travelfish
    20th February, 2010

Gday mate, Ill throw a few suggestions your way. I have always traveled solo and am around your age, i have been to Laos 3 times (so far), so i feel a bit old hat. Im not sure if you have already left on your trip but if not this is what i would do.

Number 1 recommendation is Luang Prabang, it is a phenomenal place and if you can get there it is well worth the trip. It's so relaxed with a great party atmosphere of an evening but is a bit of a pain in the neck to get to from Vientiane unless you fly. This is where i spend the majority of the time in my trips to Laos these days, id live there permanently if it were viable and if my girlfriend would come with me.

I know Vang Vieng is oh so appealing for those in our age bracket but honestly, in the one time i ventured there i couldn't wait to leave and i most likely wont ever return in future trips to Laos (the Tubing and rope swings were really fun, its just the other idiot tourists that make it so unbearable, you might be one of those travelers who really loves it though)

Another suggestion if you only have a couple of weeks is to head South, first spend a bit of time in Vientiane, head down to Pakse and onto the 4000 islands aka Vang Vieng in the Mekong. Its less corrupted than Van Vieng (well, it was when i was there) and there are plenty of young foreign tourists about that you can seduce. Its also very cheap and is in an absolutely gorgeous spot. Great alternative to traditional islands.

#4 Posted: 30/12/2010 - 10:05

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

"...would like to learn about the culture of this country."

You know, after quite a while listening to people on this site, I'm not sure what this means anymore. Specifically, what are people talking about when they talk about "culture" here?

#5 Posted: 30/12/2010 - 11:07

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

"Specifically, what are people talking about when they talk about "culture" here?"

Lao way of life.

#6 Posted: 31/12/2010 - 08:44

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

food. dance. dress. markets. architecture. religion. holiday traditions. customs. attitudes. for me it is anything that is different from the day-to-day back home. it could be big things like temples or festivals or boat races or subtle stuff like removing shoes before entering a home or the way people greet each other.

this stuff can become quite ordinary when you live somewhere, but for a traveller, these things can be the highlights of the trip.

#7 Posted: 31/12/2010 - 09:17

• somsai

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2006
    Location United States

ihoopjaz it sounds like you have a very well defined and concrete plan already, I would wait until you get there to decide more. As I understand it you are flying into Vientiane.

Great idea.

I guess after you do that maybe find a black thick cup of coffee or maybe a place to stay in either order then crack open a guide book or ask someone where is good.

I'd take the names of the six towns you hear of the most and don't go there, but that's just me. Your only obligation is to enjoy yourself. Chock Dee!!

#8 Posted: 31/12/2010 - 11:25

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Exacto
    The reason I ask is because a lot of people write "I'm particularly interested in culture" - as if they wouldn't get exposed to that unless they went someplace special. The more I thought about it, the more strange it seemed to me, which is why I asked the question. Whether you hit the beach, or even go to Pattaya, you are going to experience a different culture. You don't have to go or do much of anything special to see different cultural norms - with the language caveat of course. Without language, no matter where you go that is going to be a major impediement to understanding the culture.

And you are right, those things are, for me, absolutely not interesting anymore. I appreciate quality architecture, and this was one of the big plusses living in Germany. Most of the archiecture here is crap though. But generally I'm not a huge "culture" fan anyway, and here all those things you mentioned are now very pedestrian. The language is, for me, the one exception. I find that aspect of the culture still very interesting.

#9 Posted: 31/12/2010 - 16:15

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

If you like architecture, Mac, then you really should have a look at some of the colonial architecture in Lao before it crumbles away and disappears. I believe in Savannakhet they are attempting to preserve as much of it as they can. Also in Vientiane a number of offices have taken the shell of the building and restored it. The Nam Phou power building on Ave Lane Xang is a good example. I will take a photo of it if yiu like. Its a pity we can't post photos here.
    I made a big mistake when I first came her in that I did not invest in land apart from my house block. I would be very comfortable financially now had i done so. However there are still opportunities and we are looking at them.
    By the way, I fully agree about German architecture - fantastic. I also saw a documentary on Thursday about the new capital of Kazakhstan. There are some amazing buildings there.

#10 Posted: 1/1/2011 - 08:40

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Eastern Russia also has some old cities built in the 18th century that also have some incredible architecture. There are some interesting old buildings - yes mostly falling apart - in Savanakhet. The place is a dusty, atrophying mess. The kind of place that backpackers who like to imagine themselves as roughing it in remotes regions love. I have to make a visa run in May - so that's it, to Vientiane in May. Did you like the vid I sent you?

#11 Posted: 1/1/2011 - 11:48

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

I didn't get your video. When you come in May, make sure that you let me know; there are some decent live music laces that have opened recently, eg the Galaxy Bar. This used to be a pickup joint and a knocking shop - probably still is, but the music is much better now. I cannot send you a pm so that you can get my home email. Mbe you can change your settings?

#12 Posted: 1/1/2011 - 13:02

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoaJAa3A92M

That's the vid. I'll contact you one way or another.

#13 Posted: 1/1/2011 - 14:30

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

Hey, that's great! Is that you? You don't look ANYTHING like I imagined you would. Pretty cool dancing! Pity about the turkey who walked through behind you.

#14 Posted: 1/1/2011 - 14:41

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

That's me. That's the kind of dancing we need in Vientiane!

Ihoop, sorry to kind of thread **@K you here.

#15 Posted: 1/1/2011 - 20:22

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
22 year old male traveling to Cambodia for the first time! ... By ihoopjazz on 5 Nov 2010 26 7745 1 Feb 2011
24 year old male from the US traveling SE Asia may 2011 ... By ryanm24 on 27 Apr 2011 3 2004 27 Apr 2011
Advice for 18 year old male first time traveller going to SEA for 6 months? ... By niallrichards94 on 9 Aug 2012 4 2081 16 Apr 2013
Male, 31 Traveling SEA a/o 8-9 July to 5-6 Aug ... By chinezero on 21 Apr 2012 4 710 16 May 2012
25 year old male travel in Cambodia May 13-May 30 ... By Bocomo on 12 May 2010 0 1447 12 May 2010
36 y/o male traveling souther Lao from Vientiene around 24/6 ... By Geminic1974 on 22 Jun 2011 0 1167 22 Jun 2011
Cheap living - travelling alone - 21 year old male. ... By twistedsignal on 22 Mar 2013 5 2544 25 Mar 2013
29 yr solo male traveling around SE Asia. February through May ... By alaskn81 on 9 Oct 2010 1 1808 16 Dec 2010
22 yr old male traveling in SE Asia (Janaury-March) ... By ihoopjazz on 5 Nov 2010 0 1421 5 Nov 2010
24 male traveling to koh phangan on 2nd November 2014 ... By Tarik on 30 Sep 2014 0 56 30 Sep 2014