Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Alone in Laos

• gempea

Joined Travelfish
    28th November, 2006

Hi

I am twenty-two years old and female, and I'm planning on travelling alone through SEA starting in February next year. I'm especially interested in Laos and have read everything I have found about travelling there, however, I have found very little on travelling alone.

Can anyone who has travelled by their self through Laos give me some tips on safety as well as getting good deals and meeting other travellers?

Also, how easy is it to get vegetarian food?

Thanks!

#1 Posted: 28/11/2006 - 22:33

• Advertisement

• steviej

Joined Travelfish
    18th March, 2006
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 2
    Places visited:
    At least 32

Hi gempea, (great user name)

You'll be fine. You just need to keep your head in gear and trust your instincts. So, get your bag packed and don't fret.

Anyway, you’re never really alone; you'll find yourself chatting to all and sundry and they'll be chatting back. There’s quite a ‘Lone Traveller’ fraternity out there in this big wide world of ours which add to the fun.

To top that, South East Asia is by far one of the friendliest places I've ever visited.

I've travelled alone a few times and found doing so quite uplifting, you seem to get a little more involved with the ‘Locals‘ whereas groups tend to stick together, you'll love it.

Anyhow, if we bump into you, you can buy us a BeerLao...... :-)

Chill
    stevie

#2 Posted: 29/11/2006 - 06:33

• Manticore

Joined Travelfish
    9th November, 2006
    Total reviews: 3

Like stevie said, theres no great worry about solo travel thru Laos. I did it back in April with no problems at all. You will find it a lot easier to meet other travellers and share info. You will meet lots of ppl who came from where you intend to go next. Ask them where they stayed and what they paid. The most relevant info comes from these ppl.

and if I bump into you, stevie can buy us a Beerlao.. :D

#3 Posted: 4/12/2006 - 20:28

• wanderingcat

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2006
    Total reviews: 4
    Places visited:
    At least 67

just spent 2 weeks alone in north Lao. only time I did not meet other tourists was when travelling from Phongsali to Hat Xa to Muang Khua. everywhere else (even in Phongsali) you will never really be alone.

in a little roadside noodle stall in Luang Prabang, I met 3 other lady backpackers who were all travelling solo =) & at a temple across the road, I sat in (at the invitation of the monks) to observe the evening prayers together with another solo female tourist.

when you are alone, locals (especially those wanting to practise their English) will find it less intimidating to approach you. some invited me to their English classes, which was a good way to meet anything from 20+ to 50(!) young locals at one go. but they can be rather shy & it takes time to break the ice.

Pak Beng is one place where I felt less safe at night, but I walked together with a solo male backpacker I met on the boat. When we stuck together the drug pushers left him alone.

like manticore said, some of the best info i got came from fellow travellers who'd already been to where I was planning to go next =) & chances are you'll bump into the same people more than once!

#4 Posted: 11/1/2007 - 09:08

• gempea

Joined Travelfish
    28th November, 2006

Thanks a lot for all your advice!

I'm trying to form an itinerary of sorts for my SEA trip. So far I've got this general plan in mind:

Bangkok - Ko Samui (7 nights) – Bangkok (1 night) - Siem Reap (2 nights) - Vientiane (3 nights) - Vang Vieng (2 nights) - Phonsavanh (2 nights) - Luang Prabang (7 nights) - Hanoi (2 nights) - Beijing

Have I planned too much for a month?

I've already spent time in Bangkok so I'm not planning on spending much time there. I want to get either the ASEAN airpass or the Bangkok/Lao Airways airpass to cut down on overland travel time.

My main interest is in Laos, so should I cut out Hanoi and spend more time there?

Thanks again.

#5 Posted: 16/1/2007 - 11:15

• steviej

Joined Travelfish
    18th March, 2006
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 2
    Places visited:
    At least 32

Yo,

Doesn't look too bad although you may want to spend another day or two in Siem Reap........................

Chill ;-)
    stevie

#6 Posted: 16/1/2007 - 15:35

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.