Flag of Laos

Laos forum

Northern Laos Itinary Advice

• reece

Joined Travelfish
    12th November, 2010

Hi all, great website!

I would love a little advice on the last week of my itinerary if anyone can help.

28/12 Arrive Vientiane
    29 Vientiane
    30 VientianeLuang Prabang (Fly)
    31 LP
    1/1 LP
    2 LP
    3 LP - Nong Khiaw (Slow Boat)
    4 Trek / Overnight Village Homestay
    5 Nong Khiaw
    6 Nong Khiaw – Udomxai (Bus)
    7 Udomxai - Luang Nam Tha (Bus)
    8 Luang Nam Tha + surrounds
    9 Luang Nam Tha + surrounds
    10 Luang Nam Tha – Pak Tha (2 day boat trip)
    11 Luang Nam Tha – Pak Tha (2 day boat trip)
    12 Pak Tha – Huay XaiChiang KhongChiang Rai (To fly to Bangkok at 9.30pm)

I have booked accommodation up until Nong Khiaw and was planning to leave the rest until I arrive.

Would it be possible to do the Nong Khiaw – Luang Nam Tha bus trip in a single day, without having to spend the night at Udomxai?

Is the last day unrealistic? I can find little information on getting from Pak Tha- Huay Xai. Can I charter a boat, or is it possible to take a car/bus? How long does this take?

I am open to suggestions for the last part of the trip, as I am wondering if the 2 day slow boat is maybe wasting too much time (especially considering we will be taking a slow boat from LP-NK earlier). Does the boat stop much at villages etc. along the way, or is it fairly direct?

I need be in Thailand to fly to Bangkok on the 12/1.

Thanks a lot,

Reece

#1 Posted: 12/11/2010 - 10:16

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Great trip!

BUT, the last bit ( Pak Tha to Chiang Rai by 9:30pm probably isn't going to happen. I'd bank on a night in Chiang Khong or Chiang Rai. In theory you could hire a boat first thing and head upriver, but it would be tight.

Nong Khiaw to Udomxai can be done in a day if you leave Nong Khiaw early.

The boats from Luang Nam Tha to Pak Tha run very haphazardly, so I wouldn't bank on them if you have a very tight timeline.

More questions? ask away!

#2 Posted: 12/11/2010 - 18:17

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Would it be possible to do the Nong Khiaw – Luang Nam Tha bus trip in a single day, without having to spend the night at Udomxai?

Yes, see shedule on http://www.oudomxay.info/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=34%E2%8C%A9=en

I can find little information on getting from Pak Tha- Huay Xai.

I think you can get a boat all the way from Luang Namtha to Huay Xai. Contact http://www.theboatlanding.com about this.

Huay Xai - Chiang Khong - Chiang Rai only takes about 3 hours so you should have plenty of time to make the evening flight.

#3 Posted: 12/11/2010 - 22:06

• reece

Joined Travelfish
    12th November, 2010

Thanks so much for your replies.

We are thinking that perhaps we may drop the slow boat and take the bus to Huay Xai instead. This should allow us to take things a little slower, and potentially be more reliable than the boat.

#4 Posted: 14/11/2010 - 18:32

• monesprit

Joined Travelfish
    29th November, 2010

Can you describe the process to get the boat Louang Phabang to Nong Khiaw, and agent or operator you used, cost and just what the trip is like and how long it took? We want to do it Jan 2nd.

Also something of Nong Khiaw, where you stayed and if you liked it & cost and the regular stuff. We are going on to Tay Trang and Sa Pa in Vietnam, if you heard anything abt that route on the ground, we'd be interested!

Thanks-

Monesprit

#5 Posted: 10/12/2010 - 11:24

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
travel partner/itinary advice, needed for northern laos -trekking ,village stay, cycling ... By santos_g15 on 17 Mar 2011 1 2799 19 Mar 2011
Tricky Itinary - need advice!!?! ... By HollyN on 2 Aug 2012 1 1186 2 Aug 2012
Itinary/advice for cambodia ... By lonetraveldiver on 9 Nov 2010 3 2783 11 Nov 2010
Itinary advice appreciated ... By tpurple on 11 Dec 2010 2 2029 15 Dec 2010
Itinary Advice for Newbie ... By HollyN on 16 Jul 2012 6 1819 20 Jul 2012
Northern Thailand and Laos: itenerary advice ... By bellatrx on 6 Oct 2009 1 2155 6 Oct 2009
Northern Thailand to Laos - advice much appreciated ... By Poohh on 30 Jun 2014 8 1316 18 Jul 2014
Motorbike journey in northern Laos (advice) ... By jackymoon on 4 Jan 2011 1 1935 4 Jan 2011
Skip Laos? Itinary help, please! ... By Hemsi on 18 Aug 2010 4 2484 25 Aug 2010